rear brake questions 1995

When installing new rear brake shoes, is there a procedure for final adjustment of the screw adjuster - just enough to get the drum on? Also, with new shoes, the parking brake was very, very slack-had to adjust the console locknut to the maximum to get 8 clicks. I would have expected the opposite, that it would be too tight, since the new shoes are thicker. Is this correct? Thanks.

Reply to
camry-keeper

edokamoto

See:

Actually, the FSM (factory service manual) tells you to turn the adjuster to the minimum length when installing, then after the brake drum is installed, go inside the car and pull up on the hand brake lever until you hear the clicking stop. Obviously, you just push in on the release button and continue lifting up (and down) the lever until you no longer hear the clicks each time the brake shoes adjust. Took me about two or three minutes that way. Before you install the drum, they tell you to move the adjustment lever and make sure it turns the star wheel.

Reply to
Daniel

Usually you adjust the star wheel on the automatic adjuster to keep the shoe a proper distance from the drum, not the cable lock nut.

The Star wheel is backed off 8 clicks from the position where the shoes are in contact with the drum. Unless the cable streched, which is very rare, I never had to touch the cable lock nut on any car. The 8 clicks sounds like is for the star adjuster. The emergency handle, at least on later models, are usually spec'ed to hold with a range of about 5-9 clicks.

camry-keeper wrote:

Reply to
johngdole