Replace '99 Camry Spark Plugs

Hi all,

I would like to replace my spark plugs on my 4-cyl, 99 Camry, but I noticed a few discussions about oil on the threads, so I thought I would check before replacing. I am assuming that the plugs are on the very top of the engine. I pulled the wire, and there is a long tube with what I am assuming is the lead to the plug, but I really can't see the plug itself. Am I correct in assuming that I just need an extension and a spark plug bit for my ratchet? Is there anything to be aware of so that I don't end up with oil?

I also bought standard Autolite plugs from my auto parts store. Is there a need to get the more expensive ones?

Reply to
JC Home

Yes, get a 6 inch extension and a standard spark plug socket. You should have gotten japanese plugs such as NGK or Denso, they seem to be better for japanese cars. Yours will work, but if you're changing them might as well do it right.

Reply to
Max

Thanks Max! Any idea why some might be getting oil in the plugs and how to avoid it?

Reply to
JC Home

I agree with Max - OEM plugs (from the dealer) make sense. The 4 banger in my 1999 has a sticker on the side of the valve cover which says I need to use dual-electrode platinum plugs - While they were a tad expensive ($10 ea.) I rest assured that I am running the right plugs in the car.

Make sure you get a tube of anti-seize lube to put on the spark plug threads to avoid future problems.

A 10" (or so) piece of rubber tubing makes a great tool for starting the plugs in the holes without much worry about cross-threading. Shove the electrode side of the plug into the tubing (maybe a slit in the tubing might help) and carefully insert it into the tube, and spin it to thread it into the head...

Reply to
Zebra

Oil on the plugs comes from bad gaskets around the spark plug tubes..if yours come out and have some oil on them fix the tube gaskets. Take those crappy autolite plugs back and get the correct NGK or Nippondenso platinum plugs. Antisieze is a good idea on the plug threads.

Reply to
ROBMURR