2008 prerunner oil change

How often do I change oil and what kind in a: 2008, Tacoma, Prerunner, 6 cyl. 6 speed manual, 2 wheel drive? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Reply to
wallman

Wallman I would suggest that beings the vehicle is new that you go by what the manufacturer recommends. That being said I just came across this post on another forum;

Straight from a Toyota rep, there is NO such thing as a "break-in" oil, but if you want to do something helpful change the oil in your brand-new car/truck at about 1,500-3,000 miles because there are little beasties in the engine that come off into the oil, remove it asap and switch to synthetic from then forward.

Bottom line: You can use non-synthetic from day one, change it every

3,000 and you will not have an "oil" related problem with your Toyota engine ever. it's always something else; alternators, timing (I have the chain so I'm not worried), starter, etc.

Change out ALL of your front & rear differential oils ASAP to dyno or synthetic, you will SH*T when you see the garbage in the gear oil and on the magnetic plug. Change out the transmission at 30,000 to dyno or synthetic, same thing and do it every 30,000. I have Amsoil in the tranny, Mobil1 in the front/rear & transfer case.

Heres the link in case your interested in reading more.

md_flap

Read the owners manual. They say service when the "maintenence req" light comes on. Should be 5000 mi. Anything more a waste of money. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Read the manual, then follow the directions it contains.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Toyota's web site has a free service schedule. Just enter your year, model, and mileage and out pops the needed service items.

In 2004, Toyota lowered the oil service interval from 7500 miles down to 5000 miles because of sludge concerns, while GM and Honda press for

12,000 miles. Go figure. I never thought 22RE had any sludge problems, but the cylinder head temperature may have been cranked up for lower emissions.

"Oil change? Recommendations offered by automakers":

johngdole