Downsizing from Sequoia

I currently own a 2003 Sequoia Limited which I am very pleased with. My only complaint is that it is too much vehicle for our family now that it's just my wife and I. We like the versatility of SUVs and I am considering either the Highlander or 4 Runner (V6).

Any one have any comments on either of these vehicles? Good and/or bad? Any other suggested SUV?

Thanks

Reply to
KJB

I'll give it a shot.

We have both a Highlander and an Avalon. Both 02's with about 41k miles on them.

The Highlander is V-6 AWD. It is NOT an off road vehicle! However, it does everything we want of it. We live in Redding, Ca.. We go to Reno a few times/year and about monthly north on I-5 to Mt Shasta area. The Highlander has been fine. Usually on any trips we use the Highlander because of room and east of entry.

So, if you do not need off-road, the Highlander should do fine. The 4 runner more in line with some off-road stuff as it has a low range in transfer case. (not in Highlander)

The Highlander feels fine in the snow, but I've driven in it for some time and don't go crazy. (4 x 4's go fine but they stop like 2 wd!)

Ron

Reply to
ron

Honda Pilot.

Reply to
Dante Cianci

We were recently (within the last two months) looking for another vehicle and focused our attention on either the 4Runner (my wife's choice) or a Tundra (my choice). We first drove the Tundra and were incredibly impressed with its ride and interior. We then drove the

4Runner and to both of our surprise, neither of us walked away with a positive attitude with that vehicle.

Its ride was very stiff compared to the Tundra (and I'm presuming that of the Sequoia which you're probably used to) and the interior, while more stylish than the Tundra's, seemed flimsy and cheap. It's a Consumer Reports pick (as is the Tundra) so I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, but those were our observations on the 4Runner. And if you do go with the

4Runner, you might as well go with the V8 as there's very little difference in fuel economy and you get a lot more power.

Just my $0.02

Reply to
Shane Perkins

Does it really need to do off-road or not? If not, I'd suggest a Lexus RX.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Thanks Ron. No need for AWD and we probably won't have any problems with snow here in Houston. :-)

Other than the Highlander and 4 Runner, a couple of others that we are considering are the Honda Pilot and the Lexus RX-330. I'm not sure our finances can handle the RX the way I'd like it equipped but I'm working on it. :-)

Reply to
KJB

Thanks Dante. The Honda Pilot is one of the others that we're considering. We have just about every dealer imaginable within a 3 mile radius so next weekend it's time to do some test driving. :-)

Reply to
KJB

Thanks Shane. That is surprising about the 4Runner. To me the Sequoia rides pretty darned good and I believe it's built on the Tundra chassis.

Reply to
KJB

Thanks Joseph. I definitely do not have a need for off-road/4WD. The RX-330 would be my 1st choice but I'm not sure if our finances could handle it considering options I'd like to have although the base price of the RX is close (a little less) to what we paid for the Sequoia 2 years ago.

Reply to
KJB

I love the driving position - it's very car-like, which is a good thing. Also, the way the seats fold perfectly flat... Best SUV interior as well that I have seen. It also drives very unlike a SUV in that it is agile and refined, almost like a minivan or wagon. The only other car that I know of that drives simmilarly is the Subaru Forester and the Buick Rendezvous. But the Lexus is much more luxurious and better built.

The 4-Runner is very good, too, but it is undoubtedly a SUV and a bit much for just two people.

I would take a couple year old factory certified model over a new almost anything else in fact.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Check out the BMW X5 and X3

Reply to
Johann Koenig

could that stiff ride be the sole residual from when the 4 runner was a totally awesome offroad capable vehicle?

[...]

: > Just my $0.02 : : Thanks Shane. That is surprising about the 4Runner. To me the Sequoia rides : pretty darned good and I believe it's built on the Tundra chassis. : :

Reply to
John Hinkley

I concur with your findings of the RX330. I am not a fan of SUVs but my wife loves it. I must say that it does ride nicely for a SUV. Even the seats are softer than my GS430's seats. She hasn't had one problem with it. Admittedly, it is only a year old. I believe that it is the same vehicle as the Highlander but with higher luxurious appointments. I think it is worth the extra money. Both ride very well because they are built on unit bodies rather than ladder frames. In effect, they are really just tall cars.

To KJB: Perhaps leasing would be an alternative. Would used ones interest you? Or, you can try an actual car instead of an SUV. Do you think the ES330 would be to your liking?

Reply to
Viperkiller

I am the proud owner of my first 4Runner (2005 SR5 V6). I like it, but there are a couple things that I do not like. If you are taller that

6'2", you are going to have headroom problems. I have to keep the sun roof interior door open to keep from rubbing my head. And the exhaust smells like rotten eggs.

Otherwise it is fantastic. Mostly city driving, and we average about

17-18Mpg. When my wife and I were looking, it came down to the 4Runner and the Honda Pilot. If you are not locked into Toyota, take a look at the Pilot.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

The BMW is more expensive and sits much higher - it clearly feels like a small SUV.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Here is another vote for the RX. We bought an RX 300 in April of

2002. We have about 55,000 on it now with never a bit of problem (except for a factory recall on the antenna). Like you, it is just my wife and I. We took a 4000 mile, 3 week, road trip in it in 2003 and it was still comfortable at the end. We got just under 21 mpg on that trip on regular gas.

We just put new Michelin tires on it and it is great in the snow. The only options I would suggest would be the 4-wheel drive. I think you would do very well with a 3 or 4 year old low milage one. This is exactly what a co-worker is doing. His wife's '94 Lexus sedan got totaled in an accident and they are going to buy a 2001 or 2002 RX 300 for her. As a point of reference, he drives a year old Acura SUV. (If you wife has driven a Lexus RX - you are probably going to get one. I don't know a single woman who has driven one who didn't want one.)

Tony S.

Reply to
Tony