Tacoma Pre Runner... can it be lifted 4" by using coil over shocks and a replacement A-Arm??

The truck we have is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Pre-Runner V-6 with independent front suspension.

Has anyone out there ever tried either of these setups...

or this one...

They both use the Swayaway 2.5? x 8? stroke shocks. The main difference between the two is that...

  1. The Inland Truck Upper A-arm kit utilizes a longer upper A-arm, but does NOT have a unibal. I called Inland Trucks, and the guy there says that the longer a-arm corrects for alignment and will allow for 4" of lift.

  1. The Total Chaos Upper A-arm is stock length, has a uniball joint to take the stress off the joint, and it allows for an additional 1" of downtravel.

I know there's been a vast majority (like 99%) of people who say that 3" of lift is the most you can go. So has anyone tried either of these two setups? Is it possible to crank the preload on the shocks to get 4" of lift, if anyone has gone that high, or higher with them.

If it's true that the stroke determines overall travel, is there a longer shock setup that will fit a Tacoma to be able to run 4" of lift and still have some downtravel?? Is 4" of downtravel possible without hurting the steering rack??

*PLEASE NOTE* The truck will NEVER be taken offroad. It is strictly being used on surface streets, winding hillside paved roads and normal city/freeway driving.

The truck is being used in a long term filming project similar to the Fast & Furious. It's gonna be about 1 year of filming, maybe a year and a half at the rate we're going with this thing. lol

We need the 3.5" - 4" of lift to be able to fit a camera rig under the truck. At

3" of lift we were just barely scrapping over every little bump in the road out in Indio, California.

The camera goes where the Drop Down brackets on a FabSUCKS 6" would go. Yes, the same spot as where the Trailmaster lift would go. Oh wait, it's even the SAME SPOT where a Procomp 4" lift would go.

Without getting too much into Film craft and motion picture photography, I need that whole underside skidplate between the bottom of the radiator alllllllllll the way back to end of the skid plate to mount the camera and make it look as "pre runner" as possible. The purpose of this is to be able to film the road ahead, and to film the mechanics of the A-arms as they move up and down with the contours of the road in a wide angle shot.

So hopefully you understand why we CAN NOT use a drop down bracket system.

Any suggestions? Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents??

PLEASE EMAIL ALL REPLIES directly to

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Our time is limited, and probably do not have time to come onto this board to check messages.

Thank you...

-crazy tacoma

Reply to
TacomaCrazy