What do you think of Hummer H1

I have a Toyota 4R but I am thinking about getting a Hummer H1 Diesel coz I will be towing a trailer 5000 - 6000 pounds all over North America. Any thoughts, comments, advise...

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Casler

They are the best thing to happen for a guy with a small penis since the corvette.

Reply to
H Hornblower

Couldn't a diesl F350 or something do the job as well? I'm only guessing. Hummer seems like an overkill to be towing something. The fuel costs would be horrible I am sure.

Reply to
Brad P

As long as you dont get the H2... H1s are fantastic.

Reply to
Dan J. Smereczynski

"Ken Casler" sez:

Criminy, $100,000 for a pissant 8,000 lbs. (at best) tow capacity?!?! You'd be a lot better off with an F350, HD2500, Excursion, 2500 Suburban, etc.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Appropriate for those without pride or shame.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

I'd get a big GMC 2500 or larger truck. I saw a C4500 outfitted as a 5th wheel pickup the other day. ~$45K and gorgeous. The person was planning to pull a 8 horse trailer with it. Every amenity inside as well.

When you consider that a typical SUV like a H2 can run $40K easily, it makes you wonder how much they are gouging the yuppies. Lol.

truck in question was the same blue as in the top picture, butthe crew cab version. Gorgeous paint and huge interior. I don't knowwhere they got a pickup rear end for it, but it looked so cool. :)
it - special order, but DANG it's a beautiful truck. NowTHAT's a pickup truck ;) They also offer a 4WD conversion. Heh.

:)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

That means he is a eco freak and doesnt want you to buy one, so I'd say get one ASAP!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

A Hummer H1 (Original) might be good for the military where it's strengths are needed and the cost is a minor consideration, but they are VERY expensive and not really suited for the task if you're looking for a good highway trailer tower. Initial price is astronomical (six figures), it will need a turbocharger to get the "oomph" for towing, and repairs are ridiculous. Just buying replacement tires is going to kill you, last I heard they are a special size and cost around $200 each.

You'd be better off with a medium-duty truck - a Ford Dodge or Chevy

1-ton truck (regular or "dually") with a large turbocharged diesel. Or even a Class 5 "city tractor" from International or Ford, or a tractor on the Chevrolet FC chassis (Isuzu) or the Nissan (UD) Diesel

- do some looking at dedicated commercial truck dealers. You can get something perfectly suited for heavy duty towing right off the showroom floor.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'd guess yours is pretty short too!

Reply to
H Hornblower

Why not go off list and check it out for yourself!!!

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I would think the H1's wheelbase would be a handicap for towing at highway speeds...

Tom...

Reply to
TOM

What is the Hummer really good for? I was in a parking lot yesterday and happened to see a H1 trying to find a parking spot he'd fit into.

For towing 5000# a V8 Tundra or Sequioa works well.

For 6000, a full sized 1/2-ton with a mid-sized V8 would work, or a 1500 Suburban or Expedition. A mid-sized V8 is still OK.

For more than 6k#, I'd go to a 3/4-ton pickup or SUV...2500 Suburban, Excursion. For a lot of miles, a diesel engine is a good choice.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

i'd get a extra cab 2500 GMC full size pup, throw on nice shell and you'll have one nice truck for towing.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Agree. But, there's no need to go to a commercial vehicle. The GMC C4500, for instance, is somewhere inbetween - like a double sized F150. If he has money for even a used H1, this is a cinch at barely over $40K with the pickup bed and the 5th wheel mount/hitch and all the options.

I spend the better part of htree days at all the auto dealers in town while waiting for my old beater Buick to get out of the shop(yeah I know - it sucks - but $1100 is cheaper than even another used car).

So I looked and walked and looked. Then there was this thing, sitting on the lot begin prepped for a customer. Big, beautiful, commercial chassis and engine, yet consumer truck cab/interior and road manners that weren't too bad. I was thinking it would cost what the other commercial vehicles did - and they dealer said - Oh - that's only $42K, loaded. (!) Sitting next to the Yukon XL for $60K. Lol.

Evidently 2004 models have that ultra-slick pickup bed as an option.

Compared to, well - most anything else out there - it's a steal. You can spend $40K on 4-Runner and not be half the vehicle for towing that something like this is. Yeah - the 4-Runner's a better made vehicle, but it's not a heavy towing rig.

Plus the Chevy FC chassis is gross inside. Just pushes so many ugly and "ick" buttons. Ford doesn't have anything like a F1000 pickup either(lol) and International is overkill. This was actually family and city friendly. I could actually see myself driving it around town without a trailer.

Oh - it's under the commercial weight limit, so is registered as a class C vehicle(sure doesn't LOOK Like a pickup. lol.)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I'd like to bet he's still circling the lot, LOL!

My brother-in-law is practically in love with them. He likes anything with a psuedo-macho image, like these Hummers and Dodge Rams.

As for me, it really has no appeal for me, except for being able to crush Hyundais, Kias, and Civics with ease! :-)

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

It's funny someone would write this, because that kind of fear-of-inadequacy, projection-type psychological motivation is a better fit on guys who go around denouncing others and mentioning their penises, and demanding that they not live or drive in certain ways.

I mean, the one kind of guy is just buying a car he likes because he can afford it and he thinks it's cool. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it's not -- either way, that's his problem. The other kind is going around watching out for anybody he thinks is being too macho, hysterically denouncing them, mocking them, and alerting everyone to them. "Look! Look! I bet his penis is small!!" Why should he be so concerned with *why* somebody else bought a vehicle? How does that affect *him*?

Now, which one has a character flaw?

Maybe sometimes a truck is just a truck.

(Hooray for this newsgroup! I set out looking for advice on where to look for the heater blower resistors, immediately found a thread on that subject, and then a link, and then a picture! I'll take a look as soon as the pickup gets home this afternoon. Hopefully they were still putting them there in 1990. Much more helpful than the guy at the parts store who looked at me with utter disgust before I'd even finished the word "Toyota," and snarled that he don't know nuthin' about no ferrin cars...)

Reply to
David