1971 Ghia In-Dash Radio Speaker

I've pulled the after-market radio in my restored 1971 Ghia and replacing it with an original Sapphire XV. I need to get an in-dash speaker and am wondering what type to get. Can someone tell me the type including size and shape. Also, how does it mount?

Thanks.

Reply to
Xenophobe

I did what you are talking about to my bug. I got a cheap speaker at a place in town here, wasn't radio shack but similar, put some weatherstripping around the front of it where it touches the metal of the dash so it wouldn't rattle and tied it up with zip ties. I dont' know what size in a ghia, but the bug is about a 4 inch round.

hope this helps you a little

Reply to
Cletus

get the "very high heat resistant sunproof type" :-) (do they make such an item? the sun abso-tively BAKES those speakers in that black dashtop....

I got a 71 ghia undergoing resto now, but haven't gotten 'into' the spkr yet. however, I'd bet it's more "oval" than round, and also guess it's "metric dimensioned", which MIGHT make it tough to find a replacement for (unless you're in europe or somewhere metric is common, like it was "supposed to have been" yrs ago now....)

tried ebay? search "metric oval speaker" or something like that...or, ya could recone yours (that and 'felt hat blocking' are two trades that may not exist anymore though....)

Can someone tell me the type including size and

Reply to
dave

more info, but this time NOT 'guesses': it's a so-called "6x12M" oval speaker. here's some sites to check with info and prices etc. as to how it Unmounts, I'm still not sure, so maybe take a look up under the dash...borrow a wife or girlfriends compact mirror, if neccessary, to 'look up in there'...

dave