'66 type one not starting

Hello all,

I have a '66 daily driver that has been running beautifully all year. I pulled in the garage last night, everything was fine and this morning it wouldn't start. I have headlights and dash light and I think I hear the ignition switch clicking. That's it. I hear nothing from the back and it doesn't turn over.

I'm going to head out and start checking connections, but in case it's obviously something specific, I thought I'd drop my question.

Thanks all.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The first thing to check would be the red wire to the starter, it has a tendency to come off the starter. if thats not it whhile your under the car cross the main power lead to the termanl that the red wire goes to to see if your starter is working. then look at the ignition switch.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Mario. It was the red wire! Right on! Right on! Right on! :-)

You are the man!! Thank you.

We have so few REALLY nice days here in Wisconsin. Today was one of them and I missed out on my 60 mile round trip commute cuz the red wire fell off. Grrrrrrr. I think I'll go for a drive to celebrate.

Thanks again. This newsgroup rocks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cool, another bug back on the road!!

Jim wrote:

Reply to
payments338

to make sure this doesn't happen again, I clean and tighten the "crimp" on this red connection. enjoy!

Reply to
Soup Nazi

I love reading some of these posts. This same thing happened to me. When I climbed under the bug and saw my wire dangling, I knew exactly where I had caused it. Some woman cornered me in a small alley in Maryland and I made the mistake of trying to turn the car around with limited space. Ended up backing into some protruding peice of cement and lifting the whole butt of the engine up in the air - then dropping it. Ouch.

Aside from popping off the red wire (which you won't find until hours later when you try to LEAVE!) - I also put a jab in a pushrod tube which created a bit of rubbing. Only found that out recently when I dropped the engine for an overhaul. I wish I could track down the fool that caused me the damage, and give her a vicous spanking.

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
steve.ballantyne

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... Some woman cornered me in a small alley in

I wish I could track down the fool

LOL....Steve, the "fool" that caused the damage was you....your own admission....just messing with you, but the lady didn't turn the bug around...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani