'71 Beetle buying tips

Hello group,

After a lengthy search, I have found a potential VW Beetle I am contemplating purchasing.

First: It's a '71 with 73,000 miles. I have been told that this is the first year of the Super Beetle?

Two. The car hasn't been driven since 1995. Anything special I should be looking for except rust? I assume the motor might be seized up, not sure - vehicle is located 200+ km away from home.

Thanks to all, Bruno Hache

Reply to
Bruno Haché

Things that don't like to sit:

1) Brakes: Plan on replacing all the soft lines and possibly the master and slave cylinders. Brake fluid can attract moisture and rubber dries out.

2) Fuel system: Rubber lines dry out. Any leftover gas will have gone bad. Any water in the fuel will have been sitting in the bottom of the tank. Check for rust.

3) Tires: The rubber dries out and may also have developed flat-spots from sitting.

4) Emergency brake: The rear brake shoes may have frozen to the drums if it was parked with the e-brake set.

5) Battery: 8 years without a charge? It's toast.

6) Check the seats (and the est of the car) for mouse nests.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Yes, '71 was first year for the Super. But, the Standard Beetle was made as well. Find out first which you are buying. In Supers, the spare tire lays flat in the trunk, Standard has the spare sitting upright. Supers have McPherson struts. Supers are notorious for having front end shimmy and wobble. That's not to say it can't be fixed with generous helpings of replacement parts... Do a GOOGLE Advanced search on this group for "shimmy".

Buying a car in Canada is like buying tickets in a lottery; there is bound to be rust, finding out how much is the challenge. (I'm in Cleveland, OH)

John Henry has a buying guide on his web site;

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks to all. I never thought I'd spend over three hours just reading on

Definitely a nice resource.

BTW, I don't think I'm buying that Beetle. The car has originally been in a front-end collision..

Cheers, Bruno Hache

Reply to
Bruno Haché

only three hours bruno?...seems you are just getting started....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Been there, done that!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Yeah...BC....the rest of us get to know the sheet metal section of our fav. restoration catalog really well...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Not to sound like a whiney Canadian but not all bugs here are rusty. Canada is a fairly large country.with some warm dry places.

-- Anna Vancouver Island, BC

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy" 58 Panel Van "Glenn"
Reply to
BugBum

Yeah, I'm just starting on the Beetle craze. It's been a lifelong dream to own one, now I feel like it's time.

Bruno

Reply to
Bruno Haché

Come to CA... California, buy one that's been in the desert. Drive it back home. The inland areas of California are notoriously arid, hence little rust on the cars. Besides, classic bugs are being melted down at a fantastic rate.

The most important place to not find rust is the floors.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

...................You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd. You can't take a shower in a parakeet cage. You can't get warm & dry up north unless you stay indoors.............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

floors are minor....heater channels are the key to a solid car

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Eh.. Would a Beetle tough a 7,300km trip?

Bruno

Reply to
Bruno Haché

Reply to
Ilambert

Like, where?? I've been to Canada, unfortunately only the cold spot(s) :0)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I suppose so, I bought a 70 bug for $375 last year, pretty rough, toasted wiring, and have put on over 10k miles, what's that, about

13,000km. I have replaced all the wheel bearings, entire brake system, CV boots, entire wiring harness, re-built the distrubitor, electronic ignition, just bought the entire urethane bushing kit from AirCooled.net.

I thought you were in BC, that's only about 1300km.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada (east coast)

Bruno

Reply to
Bruno Haché

I can't spell it but the Okonogon (near the interior of BC) Places around Vancouver that don't use a lot of salt on their roads

And there are places in Alberta where it's too cold to use salt. etc. etc.

-- Anna Vancouver Island, BC

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy" 58 Panel Van "Glenn"
Reply to
BugBum

That's what, like 3,000 miles? I did that in one week. Granted it was june, and in a big olds 98. You really get to know your tape collection.

Reply to
Michael Kelly