74 VW Beetle Standard...engine question?

Greetings all. I have just purchased a 74 VW Beetle(Standard) with 37K miles on with $4200. worth of mechanincal work invoices for past 4 years and only adding 600 miles during same period(lady driver disliked standard tranny and noisy ride-winter stored).Rubber use looks like low mileage...trying to figure out the engine type. Label on engine states: Engine code AH-A, 97cid,timing 7,5 BTDC-RPM 875 +/-75 idle, oil temp

122-155. Is it a type 1 or 2, or is it a new engine??? Other codes:Electrical-BN2, 201391,27074,Benzin12 volt, 2000, B5-311,261103 Door frame: Card 207 Any ideas ? Still needs moderate body work and new paint job.... Much appreciated, LordPacal
Reply to
LordPacal

AH is the engine code. That is the stock engine for '74 Type 1. You can find the complete engine # stamped below the oil stand.

BN2 is a gasoline heater, located under the hood. This was an optional accessory. Worth weight in gold today. Made by Eberspacher. Some info here:

There is also a gas heater section on my web site.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim