Outside Scraper Installation

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

First of all thanks to Jan for giving me the steps to remove and replace the outside scraper for my 1974 Super Beetle. I am ready to install the new German scraper and see the square openings in the door. There are no clips in the square openings. However, the new scraper has 4 spring-like prongs as the old scraper. Do these prongs go right into the square openings or do I still need these clips that Jan wrote about?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
azazel scratch

The prongs go directly in the door holes. No plastic or other type of clip is needed. It is a bit tricky to install them, and if you strain them too much during installation they may loosen and rattle afterwards, or break. Be sure you have them perfectly aligned with the holes before you press them in. Check that they align properly. The door trim is a universal model these days and 1 or 2 prongs are in the wrong position for some older door models. If they don't align, remove prongs from your old trim and the interfering prongs from the new trim and try to relocate them (it is difficult to remove them intact, the bent edges tend to break).

You will need clips (usually new are required) for the holes behind the felt channel. These are the clips that keep the felt channel in place and the upper and side portion of the trim in place.

Many shops don't want to mess with all these, and just glue the door trim in place. Easier to install, but difficult to remove again (the door trim will be damaged if it needs to get off).

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I also find that the clips provided with the new scrapers - even original German ones - are useless. Reuse the original clips, they are much better!

Reply to
Howard Rose

"azazel scratch" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@enews5.newsguy.com...

My personal experience is that the new ones break when installing (9 out of

10) Use the old ones. If they are the original onesand most likely won't break... (depending on if the PO didn't refit new ones already)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59