Engine Rebuild Questions

Hi All

I've got a 1300dp engine that was given to me, it was off a 1978 South African car which has basically rusted away! The engine runs well, I placed my genie from my original 1300sp on it, as my beetle is a 1970 so the wiring is a bit different. Unfortunately the main bearings are starting to give way, classic symptoms: no oil pressure as idle, grumbling when cold starting and some serious end float. So I'm looking to rebuild it.

I don't have the tools or time to do it myself but have found a reasonable mechanic, whose been working on bugs for ages, he's an enthusiast like myself. And I'm sure he'll do a good job.

My question is what should I go for. I want a street engine that doesn't require a large budget and will last 50 to 100k miles. I was looking at a

1600 with the twin port heads and a mild Engle 110 - 125 (or equivalent) cam, (I might get my original cam cut to that profile) For the first year or two of it's life it'll run with a single centermount carb. What sort of power would this setup generate. I'd like to keep up with your new cars like the Golfs and those Fords that give you that my car is greater than you look, at the robots!!

My other option was to install 90.2m pistons and bring it up to 1776cc, I realise the case has to be bored, but what the life like on those. Isn't the cylinder wall a bit thinner. I'd still keep the warmer cam on this setup. I'm not really planning to drive it at high rpm, about 4500rpm constant and occasionally up to 5000rpm or so to overtake those Fords! Should I worry about a counterweight crank?

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate you guy's input as I'm new to rebuilding non-stock engines and don't know what are good options and what is not!

Thanks very much

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin