Fuel cutoff valve

I think the fuel cutoff valve in my '66 is faulty, as the car keeps cutting out due to the carb bowl being empty. I'm pretty sure it's not the fuel pump as that has been replaced with a new Brazilian unit until the original one has been rebuilt, and it seems to be pumping ok.

Where can I get a new 6 volt fuel cutoff switch from (in the UK)? I haven't seen then in any of the VW catalogues, just the 12v ones.

I'm guessing it's going to be like the 6v choke units - find a decent secondhand one!!

Thanks

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

If the bowl is empty, its before the fuel cutoff valve in the carb. Its either the pump (rod lenght may be wrong) or you have something clogged on the fuels path...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

The fuel/idle cut off valve (operated by ignition circuit voltage) does not affect the fuel bowl level or fuel getting there. Though a faulty valve could be left open when ignition is cut off, the bowl won't empty because of this open valve.

Check the carburettor needle valve and that the carb bowl float=20 operates correctly. When bowl is full, the float pushes the needle valve close and when the fuel level lowers enough, the float allows fuel again to the bowl. Clogged or stuck needle valve will result in empty fuel bowl.=20

Other possibilities are for example:

  • faulty fuel pump
  • clogged fuel line or filter
  • clogged fuel tank screen
Reply to
Olli Lammi

You can test it, assuming it works the same as a 12V, by connecting the wire to the positive terminal (+) of the battery and grounding it to the negative(-). You should hear it click as you touch the wires...

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (near completion)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

The fuel/idle cut off valve (operated by ignition circuit voltage) does not affect the fuel bowl level or fuel getting there. Though a faulty valve could be left open when ignition is cut off, the bowl won't empty because of this open valve.

Check the carburettor needle valve and that the carb bowl float operates correctly. When bowl is full, the float pushes the needle valve close and when the fuel level lowers enough, the float allows fuel again to the bowl. Clogged or stuck needle valve will result in empty fuel bowl.

Other possibilities are for example:

  • faulty fuel pump
  • clogged fuel line or filter
  • clogged fuel tank screen
Reply to
Ilambert

A very common problem with fuel delivery is the pump push-rod seizing in the bakelite guide (which extends into the crank-case from the flange below the pump). This tends to happen as the engine gets hotter - say after 5 or so miles. If this is the case, you will find the push-rod in its most 'up' position when you take the pump off. New guide/flanges are available - care is needed to remove the old one as it will invariably be seized (part of the reason the push-rod seizes in it). Tapping it full length with a suitable thread and pulling or slide-hammering it out is most likely to succeed. If any goes inside, I'm told it won't hurt the timing gears etc, but better be safe than sorry I guess.

Faulty float needle valves more often fail open than closed.

Be aware that there may be bits of rubber hose moving about in the pipes, sliced off the pipes when reassembled. These can cause puzzling intermittent problems with fuel delivery.

Reply to
Dave Hall

I'm Not saying this is fact, but I thought I'd share a quick story with ya........................

I had a New girlfriend one time in my beetle , and we were on our first trek outside the circle of friends, and went to the liquor store to buy some alcohol of some sort. Got the alcohol, no issues. got a block and a half from the liquor store and car died. Didn;t tak elong to figure out it was a bad fuel pump. Now the part that actually is *ertinent*....................The fuel pump was only a couple of days since replaced...................with one of them brazillian ones, til I could get my original rebuilt ....................sounding familiar? Funny thing aboiut this , is the pump I put on was of the rebuildable design also.......................seen *that one* from brazil?? Anyways, to shorten the story a little ( instead of telling you all the juicy details about the girlfriend , who was just damn cute and built like,.................well,..............) I put a used one off of another car on the one I was driving , and opened up the Brazillian unit, and found that there was a bad "reed type" valave in it, and I took a little time and studdied it and figured out I could move things around a little, and It worked flawlessly afterward. The Same Fuel pump is still on the Running Beetle in my driveway,...............I guess about three and a half years later..............yeah, The broken fuel pump.................go figure.

I say spend a couple of minutes and check the fuel pump and determine if in fact it is working as it should....................If not, and it's one of them Sealed ones..............well, Toss it in the trash. And Put the rebuilt original style pump back on.

This is my story , and I'm Stickin' to it.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:56:43 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Hey! I remember that little girlfriend! You're right, she was kinda' cute and put together very nicely. You might want to think about not tellin' these guys so much about your former girlfriends and your wife!:~)

John Willis

To heck with that. Tell us more about the girl!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

John Willis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He gets to the Packie with this *Babe* and what does he tell us about? The fuel pump! Which is what we were interested in, anyway. Great story, Scott!

Reply to
cloud8

Oh come on... where's the cup of tea? :-P

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

Hell , You can have that Anywhere................But that Sun and Tasty Meal thing....................LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

when your a student, you get a "sixth sense"- the ability to find the best meals for the cheapest price.. lol :-P

But first things first, it's a cup of tea before anything *grin*

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I have found the problem. It turned out that the fuel was only pumping intermittantly, which may have been caused by a kink in the tank-chassis fuelpipe. it's replaced now, and the car ran for ages without cutting out. I didn't get chance for a test drive as it's now too dark.

cheers,

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

When I was a student, I could eat for free with the purchase of a beer. The only down side was that I had to put on a tie...

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

and some warm beer !