I love my 1200

I just thought I'd say that.

Everyone is so obsessed with suping it up, slamming it down. I like toodeling around.

Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy" 58 Panel Van "Glenn"
Reply to
BugBum

Tree hugger................................=-Þ

( Thick skin now Anna.......thick Skin................)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Oh Scott if you could see where I'm living now too! I'll take some pics tommorow.

-- Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy"
Reply to
BugBum

hehehe even I'm playing with the idea of building a bone stock 1600 for my Frannie.. they run so damn smooth..

Jan

Reply to
Jan

LOL!!

:D

Jan

"MUADIB®" wrote:

Reply to
Jan

You can't beat that engine for duribility and reliability. My 1500 was rebuilt and upgraded to a 1600 17 months ago, and it has not been back in the shop since. More power is great if you can do it without losing reliability.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

How smooth do you think this one runs:

worn case of unknown miles, the speedo was un hooked at 38,000 for a noise problem crank and rod set of unknown condition (different engine) two flat top pistons one dished piston from one engine one dished piston from another engine mixed rings from bad pistons to good pistons (broke some rings installing pistons so I just took some off of a bad piston) used mixed up jugs used cam mixed up cam followers original oil pump head from swap meet head from who knows where all put together on the tailgate of my late P/U truck in the driveway. Been running for 16 months now with no breakdowns. that includes a bunch of trips to portland and back. (about 400 miles round trip)

so smooth i have to grab the shifter to see if its still running.

Reply to
Gregg H

Just out of curiosity how long will a 1200 run realistically before it will need a rebuild? I'm at 126,000 miles now.. no problems...never rebuilt.. should I expect it to need one soon?

-- Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy"
Reply to
BugBum

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:31:12 -0700, "BugBum" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Yep. I'd start saving money now or get money ready for that. Dudette, that's a time-bomb waiting to go off. I can almost see the sparkles in the sky from here from the tiny magnesium particles flying up in the air and getting lit up by the light of the moon. I think the ultimate solution may be a small-block Chevy motor. More weight on the traction wheels, KILLER wheelies, unbeatable acceleration, awesome gas mileage cuz it'll hit 70mph at idle. You just can't lose! I'm only kidding, kinda. I have a 1200 SP. I was getting about 12 PSI on my oil pressure gauge coming home today and hit a couple of light inclines where I couldn't get over 55 mph. Top speed on the way home today was about 75 mph. But last time I went off-road I knew how to slip the clutch to get the rpms up to about 3000 to get up the worst hills. Yeah, it burns up the clutch, but changing the clutch out had become a trivial thing now. And, an inexpensive one. Expect the worst. Changing the clutch out. Will cost you $150 at the worst if you get ripped off and an afternoon of work. Once it's done just hit the trailes to put it to the test.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:53:56 +0300, Jan Andersson left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Jan, Bullshit. (gets ready for thrashing) I just don't believe that. 187,000 miles without a rebuild on T1 motor? I don't buy that. I wonder how many original T1 VW motors turned 187,000 miles without a rebuild even with regular valve adjustement and oil changes. I'd guess 100,000 if it's built *RIGHT*. Now if you're right then you're saying my 1200 should last about another 50,000 miles? Would you like to take a bet at 20,000 miles even? I change the oil at 1,500 miles and adjust the valves at 3,000 miles... ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

attorney, or chiropractor.

Reply to
Pat

Lol Trav. thanks for the "words of wisdom" We were talking about taking the engine apart and doing a rebuild over the winter anyway while she's off road. I'm going to do everything myself.

-- Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy"

attorney, or chiropractor.

Reply to
BugBum

It's possible. But read my reply again.. "assuming it has been maintained somewhat regularly and driven sensibly". How many of them have been? How many of ANY cars, at that point in their life, can say that up until the said 187 kmiles, they've seen regular maintenance or sensible driving like they did when they were new...?

Possible, yes. But not very likely, the way ignorant people drive their cars to the ground these days.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

i saw her car in person on the weekend very nice looking car:) if the motor runs great why rebuild it? i drove a 1500 single port daily for the past 4 years i have since switched vehicles and a 1776(power has it's perks:) and by no means is that alot of power(beats 36hp)

take care russ

Reply to
Russ

Thank you Russ.

We converted my car to 12 volt Scott because the previous owner had started but never finished. I have a nice ground up flywheel to proove that. I'm not posting my engine numbers on here, You'll just have to trust me that I have the documentation that it's the original case that came with the car ;p

-- Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy"
Reply to
BugBum

Is there some sort of security issue with popsting the numbers anna?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I dont' feel comfortable. Ever since my situation with selling Vernon I am very hesitant about what I put on the internet.

-- Anna

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy"
Reply to
BugBum

Yeah,............uhm,..................Whatever.

You're starting to worry me Anna..............

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:58:16 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Remember, it ain't paranoia if they really are out to getcha'!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis