oil cooler leak

Hi all.Can an oil cooler in a '72 Bus be changed with the engine in place?"Hans" has sprung a leak that cannot be ignored.

Reply to
ilambert

type 1 1600cc engine? No.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Isn't this the "Type 4" or "flat" engine in the 72 Busses? I have seen people remove cylinder heads and pistons without removing the engine. 8^o I wouldn't but some do!

So you could try to change the oil cooler without remov> >

Reply to
dave

The "economy" 1600 type 1 was offered as an alternative to the T4 all the way to the end afaik. Have performed maintenance on an all-original 76 like this.

On a type 4 I am fairly sure you can service the oil cooler while the engine is still in the car. The oil cooler on a T4 is located left of the pulley, above the oil filter mount. It's layin on it's side, horizontally, under the tinwork. The cooling shroud is kind of in the way, obstructing view at least if nothing else.

Jan

dave wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
ilambert

we just went through that exact scenario. you have to pull the front fan shroud off -- which can only be done with the engine out i think -- to access the oil cooler. we already had the engine out and ran it on the ground to test our oil leak fixes, so i may be wrong about needing to pull the engine -- but it looked that way with it sitting on the garage floor.

and ----- be sure to use new donuts. don't re-use the old ones no matter how good they look. after using this suggestion, our oil leak stopped.

good luck bob

Reply to
Bob Mrazik