Quick Parts Question

Since there isn't a good place to get VW parts within 200 miles of here I've been ordering off the web. Just wondering if there are good and bad places to go. I've been using CIP1 because they take paypal, where all my money is and SoCal Auto Parts because I can't find lower priced parts. Where do you guys go, who don't live in a VW infested area?

Reply to
Rebecca

Rebecca If you are happy with Cip1 Then you should continue buying from them.

I have a restoration/ repair shop and buy from Cip1 alot and Gary the rep. I talk to is great.

I also buy from Dave owner of Sundance Bug and Buggie out of Plant City Fl. hes not on the web, But theres no one out there that will give you better service.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

It depends on what your after and what kind of rig you have. Careful about the big discount mail order places. They stock both good stuff and items of a lesser quality so you have to be careful. CIP1 is a good place to buy from for the most part. Serious engine parts are a different story. And any big ticket items, it's best to ask here first if your not sure.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

I ordered my heater channels from

I got good service, the price wasnt bad and the parts were good quality.

also I ordered my bumpers from wolfsburg west, and I have gotten some parts from west coast metric

Reply to
dragenwagen

I've ordered at least $1,000 worth of parts from

The quality of the parts was very good EXCEPT for the front trailing arms and balljoints I got for my '73. The balljoints were too stiff, one boot was torn upon delievery, and one of the trailing arms was bent and the shop could not align the car properly becuase of it. Everything else was great: disc brakes, seals, shocks, steering parts, engine stuff, etc. I think the trailing arm thing was a fluke, as it WAS a fairly new item. Good luck

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Hi! I usually try and buy the best quality German parts from

. If I can't get them there I try:
or
Unless I can get the same thing from
for a lower price.

Sometimes I buy from

or The Real Source - Mid America Motorworks
And once in a while I buy from J.C. Whitney

Links - Aircooled VW Parts and Tech Help

Aircooled VW Parts:

Brake power bleeder

-pricy, but has a lot of German parts The Real Source - Mid America Motorworks
Solar Car Battery Chargers
Wiper motor
Aicooled VW Links

Technical help:

John Henry's Bug Shop

R.A.M.V.A - Aircooled VW Technical Support Index

Rob And Dave's Aircooled VW Pages

Speedy Jim's Aircooled VW Electrical and Other Help Page

Sleepy Joe

Hey sleepy joe about 1000 more listings and we would all have something very missed by alot of us .

hint, Bill

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks, I knew I'd get some input here. No opinion on socalautoparts.com? I'm thinking of getting the fender kit from there.

Reply to
Rebecca

I bought a stainless steel coated stock muffler from Socal. When I called to phone in the order, the clerk was very rude and smartalec. They sent me the part though, eventually. And, they added more to the shipping costs than what was originally quoted without asking me first. Check search\this newsgroup for other comments on SoCal.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

I have heard that it is best to buy original German genders from a salvage yard since the replacements are not made as well or of as thick of metal.

I have never purchaced fenders before but here is a quote from the now defunct Rocky Mountain Motorworks' catalog.

"New fenders are easy to install and a quick way to improve your Bug's performance. Our heavy duty fenders are primed and ready to install for a perfect fit. Note: We recommend purchasing fenders in pairs to ensure a match."

I suppose this means that if you do not purchase them in pairs, when you look at the front view of the vehicle, one fender may be longer than the other?

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

socalautoparts.com?

How the F**k can new fenders give better performance ??? Perhaps its the little white stripe ?

Reply to
Juper Wort

Well if they were made of carbon fiber.... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If they're red. Red bicycles and red cars go faster. Heck, I learned that when I was a kid.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

No it means if you are useing an early fender your horn grills willl be on a uneven plan and both early and late fenders the bumper holes are in different positions. and the rear bumpers hang about 2cm below the rear apron.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hot VWs did an interesting story on aftermarket fenders a while back. On the earlier fenders there can be variations in the location of the horn holes in the front fenders and the turn signal holes.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I do not see how they could give better performance. this is a quote I got from an old Rocky mountain Motorworks catalog issue VW17 page 82.

Maybe if they were not purchased in pairs, one fender would be longer than the other in front and that would affect the airodynamics of the vehicle and give less gas mileage. Just Kidding!

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Juper Wort wrote:How the F**k can new fenders give better performance ???

...simple. The new fenders are made from thin cheasy metal. They are, therefore, lighter than the originals. Easiest way to go faster is to "add lightness." =-) BTW the fit issue is not so much a length thing....rather it is in placement of the headlights and turn signal holes, as well as the horn grills on early fenders. Its is quite common for them to differ. Best bet for body parts is original german or CCC fiberglass...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Where've you been hidin'? Chris and I were talkin' trash about you just this morning. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
ilambert