hard to get parts

Hello everyone,

I know there must be some rabbit fanatics out there who hopefully will help me out. I am looking for a water pump pulley for my 83 rabbit. Apparently this is hard to come by and I am not having very much luck and getting frustrated in the meantime. Does anyone here have any good parts resources they might share for hard to find rabbit parts?? There are no junkyards that have any cars this old in my neck of the woods and the dealer never has the part I am trying to get. Please if you have a good parts place let me know.

Thanks!!

-chris

Reply to
Chris

There might be a few different ones out there so a picture might help. ;-) Gas or Diesel? Is this an American made Rabbit? Does it have air conditioning and if so is it factory or dealer installed.

1 or 2 pulleys on it?
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Chris,

I have a 1976 Rabbit, so I can relate... :)

I've ordered a couple of hard to find parts from Campbell Nelson:

You may have to contact them via email or a custom quote request for items that aren't in their main parts lists.

Another place to look is Parts Place

Good luck,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Do you really intend to change the pulley on a water pump without changing out the water pump?

Anyway, add

to your list.
mentionspulley, but there is no corresponding "below" there.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

On Dec 27, 12:08 pm, Chris wrote:

Thank you all for the links, I am hoping that they will help me to find a water pump pulley for my little car. I appreciate the help :)

Also I see I may have caused a little confusion in my previous message so I will share my somewhat embarrassing story. I have spent all summer and most of fall fixing up my rabbit which I purchased for $400 the previous fall. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but it definitely needed some work as it has been neglected for some time. I am no mechanic or body shop person by any means and am learning as I go, and even enjoying it most of the time. That is until I do something really, really stupid. (This sometimes happens to people who have no idea what they are doing). Before the really stupid thing comes into play I think you should know that I have spent a good 6 months painstakingly restoring the body and interior of the car, to the best of my ability. Now that my car is almost complete I decide I sure could use a new water pump before I fire it up and maybe the timing belt and thermostat while I am at it. So off everything comes off and of course, as very little seems to go smoothly for me with this car, there is a broken chip off off of the crankshaft pulley which I am told is pretty much unheard of. It seemed like a bad casting. At this point I was forced to stop work on the car and try to replace the broken part, only to get nowhere as this part is pretty much unfindable. A few weeks later I am forced to put it back together and hope that the this part does not deteriorate any farther ( it is chipped but still usable, however a replacement would have been ideal of course). This is where my water pump pulley comes into the story as well as where my embarrassment stems. It has completely disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it or even what it looked like and because so much time had passed trying to locate the previously mentioned part. So not only did I fail to locate the needed part but lost another one in the meantime. Yep, pretty stupid. Best I can figure is that just maybe I was dumb enough to leave it on the old water pump and turn it in to get the core charge of which consisted of one whole dollar. This is where I am now, I need a water pump pulley, yet because there were so many variations on these little rabbits I am not sure what one I need, and of course I have nothing to compare it to. I am hoping that one of the links that were given just might help me out. Perhaps someone here may be able to assist in helping me know what one I need or if there is a proper size or any differences I should be aware of. I am a bit worried that I will get the wrong one and install it on my car and I will have no way to know. My car is a 83 VW Rabbit GL , 2-door American made, Gas, fuel injected, automatic, with factory air, no power steering. The air conditioning no longer works and has been bypassed so the belt does not go to it any longer. The new water pump is an 8 hole with a 30 mm hub and is ASC #WP479. If anyone has any information on what I should be aware of please let me know.

Also I can't get the thing to start now. But at least it looks pretty.

Thanks again, Chris

Reply to
christina.williams80

Also it is a 1.7L Thanks

-chris

Reply to
christina.williams80

I must have irritated you at some point. What are you pissed off at? That's pretty active misquoting. You normally don't usually trim, but somehow you decided to trim where I said '

mentionspulley, but there is no corresponding "below" there.' Now often when a site says see below, they list the pulley. I suspected they left it off the web page and may well source the part.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Hi, I have found a few water pump pulleys on e-bay. One for a 1.6L Diesel truck and the other is of unknown origin although I have contacted the seller for more info. Does anyone know if the diesel and gas pulleys were the same? Or if engine size changes what pulley is needed??? Thanks!

-chris

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
tacurong

Has every VW part you could ever hope for.

New, used, reconditioned.

Been doing business with them for over 20 years

Reply to
SnoBrdr

also has rabbit parts. Not sure if they have the pulleys but you can always ask.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Hello All, Firstly I want to say thank you to everyone. The links you have shared will most definitely make finding parts much easier. I now have a water pump coming in the mail, and I am crossing my fingers that it will work. I was able to get it at egermanparts.com. I was also able to get the bolts for it through the dealer. I am looking forward to finally being able to go for a ride in my rabbit again. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again to everyone!!! You have made me very happy.

-chris

Reply to
christina.williams80

Reply to