simple electrical fault

Hi Hopefully answering my own post here...

'74 beetle. Left turn signal, when I touch the brake, the flashing stops, and the green warning light stays on. When I let go of the brake, all good again.

Am I looking at a bad earth at left rear cluster, and if so, where is it attached ? at the cluster itself, or somewhere within the innards of the loom.. ?

see, hopefully nice & easy.

Its getting to MOT time again, so things start going wrong. Brakes now pull slightly to left & horn sounds like a moose on heat.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Not necessarily much help on the rest, but the typical cure for the horn problem is to remove the mount from the car, clean and remount................this works VERY well on mine.

Corrosion builds up around the connection and in the connection and it loses good earth..................

I'd guess as 4play has it, just trace the wires to the engine compartment and make sure all are grounded well,................I have found on several that the ground wire is rusted completely off the lug in the engine bay.

also make sure the tail light housing is attached and making good contact electrically with the fender, and likewise the fender with the main body.................hell, while your at it, you may take a couple extra hours and ensure all corners the same way.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

FWIW If the rubber gasket is in place and not rotted away there is no electrical conduction betweeen the light housing and the fender. The ground wire from inside the engine bay goes to the light bulb frame. You must take the lens off to check this connection...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Not much?

those pesky metal studs and nuts would *never* conduct electricity....NEVER

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

electricity....NEVER

OK folks. Took it all apart & found the earth wire disconnected from the spade connector in engine compartment, and spade connector disconnected from metalwork. I extended the earthwire to reach to ground connection at the diagnostic plug. All now fine & good. Also attacked the moose horn with sandpaper, and that sounds better as well. Adjusted by two teeth on front right brake bottom shoe seems to have steadied to stopping as well.

Now lets get the thing tested before something else falls apart.

Thanks all

James

Reply to
Juper Wort