Still too rich....

I everyone,

I'm still working on my 1982 aircooled Vanagon with the same problem: It's runnig so rich that it carbonize the plugs and, after several minutes of running, looses most of it's power.

I checked a lot of things. Thanks to Speedy Jim, I checked the Temperature sensor,. Found it ok but replaced it anyway. Looked at all the specs (Bentley's and more) to find everything okay, speaking of ohmmeter cicuits test. I replaced the ECM with a supposed-to-be-working used one. I changed the cold start valve, having found it defective, (but in the wrong side for me: it didn,t deliver any fuel at all).

I checked the fuel pressure in the loop... Found it within the specs. Changed the pressure regulating valve anyway..

Checked all the grounds... looked ok to my ohmmeter.

I'm about to get crazy... any hint where I could go further? It seems to me that everything I check is okay... but it's still burning too rich... darkening the four plugs quite fast, even if it's firing up rapidly every time I would put some new sparkplugs...

By the way, it has started doing so while driving the highway, a few years ago... still looking for some hint!!!

Steph

Reply to
Steph

One of the most important sensors to any EFI system is the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is the odd looking box in the intake system between the air filter and throttle body. Chances are that it's in pretty rough shape if it's original. Carefully take it off, clean it, check that the flap moves through it's total range of movement and that some chuck of debris isn't causing it to stick. I don't know if your Bentley has testing procedures for it or if new ones are even available. It sure could cause the conditions you speak of.

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

Just one question. Did you check all of the wiring and sensors/switches/components from the ECM harness plug? I have found broken wiring inside of harnesses or corroded plug terminals checking things this way. I am not sure if your Bentley goes through the procedures like it does on the watercooled brother (like the 1992 Jettas).

As you can tell I have done no work on the Vanagons so I don't even know if it has an 02 sensor that might be faulty.

I have seen weak ign coils cause spark plugs to foul out along with bad aftermarket distributor rotors that cause running problems. This has probably been discussed already so just disregard my post! 8^o

good luck! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks both of you. These hints could sure help. Be right back... Steph

Reply to
Steph

I took a look at the mass air flow . It looks ok and tested ok to the bentleys tests.

Any idea if a bad gasoline could cause that kind of trouble? It might sound weird, but I didn't take the time to empty the tank and to fill it up with new gas...

The gas looks perfectly clean and has a good yellow colour... Might it be bad anyway?

Steph

Reply to
Steph