Stupid swing axle won't go back together

Hello,

I'm trying to reassemble my swingaxle transmission (I had to pull it apart due to a broken reverse gear / coupler).

Everything went fine until I tried to put the end casing at the end of the axle tube back together (the iron thing with the shock mount that has the axle bearing in it).

The assembly goes together too tight, and as I tighten down the bolts, the axle starts to bind -- it won't spin freely anymore. Only the left side (the side that is attached to the ring gear side of the diff) has this problem. The right side is fairly loose and the axle has a good deal of slop back and forth.

I've put the parts in this order back into the end housing: small spacer axle bearing washer small o-ring big spacer big o-ring Looking into the end of the axle tube, I can see that the little shoulder on the axle is flush with the side of the axle casing (i.e. if I put the small spacer onto the axle, then the small spacer protrudes into the place where the axle bearing should be sitting). The clearance seems to only be off by 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I removed the axles / diff as a unit (i.e. I never removed the axles from the diff, or disassembled the diff), so nothing should be wrong in there.

Are both axle tubes the same length?

Thanks Scott

Posted using QuadSucker/News,
... the ultimate tool for newsgroup downloading!-----------------------------------------------------------