Torsion Bar question

Somewhere in ancient history, I read that torsion bars have special paint and if the paint is flaking it means the bar has fatigued and should no longer be used. Anybody else ever hear of this? The paint on mine was almost totally flaked off when I had 'em out about 6-8 years ago. So far, they're still hanging in there. I pulled a set out of a bus at a wrecking yard this morning ($5 each) the left one is pristine the right one is still covered with paint, but it is beginning to flake some.

I wonder if there is any validity to the fatigue story or if I just imagined it somewhere along the way?

-- Dave "Busahaulic" Pearson Fall City, Washington Remove obvious from addy to e-mail

Reply to
Busahaulic

Not sure about the fatigue issue, but with the coating flaked off, they're more likely to rust.

Reply to
Alan Nelson