Type IV engine case sealant

I'm going to be rebuilding a Type IV from a 914 soon, and was wondering what the collected wisdom is concering sealing the case halves.

In aircraft practice, one embeds a silk thread in the sealing compound looping it around bolts, studs, etc, so the sealant isn't all crushed out when the case halves are tightened. Do you VW guys do anything like that, or just use the sealant? What's the preferred sealant these days?

Thanks, Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb

Hi Henry,

Permatex 3D and not a lot of it as case halfs have to be joined with close presision, and you don't want to sealant to go into the case and possibly get into oil, block a galley in crank thus causing bearing failures etc. sealant is applied to the left half where case studs are installed so that you can cover matting surface around the studs.

Ant> I'm going to be rebuilding a Type IV from a 914 soon, and was wondering

Reply to
anton

Loctite 510 or 512 anaerobic sealant, only difference between the two are maximum temp.Iirc both are well within the limits of the aircooled T1 and T4 engines.

If you would like to investigate further, pop over to

and enter Mr.Rabys forum, now only an archive, but plenty of good info available through the search function.

The mentioned Loctite is also what Piaggio recommend for all their engines, water and aircooled. I use the stuff at work, not a leak yet..

J.

Reply to
Berg

I've used Yamahabond #4 on all precision fit surfaces for over 20 years with good results. I started out using it on bike case halves but I used it on my bug engine too. The case halves are about the only place on this engine that has never leaked... It's available from any Yamaha bike shop.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W