Dallas Summer Volvo Project

My Volvo is up and running again. Got some tune-up work/oil change stuff going, and it seems to be in functional shape again.

However, I would like to make this Volvo a project car. I'm not doing anything with it at this point, as I'll be moving to Dallas in the summer. The car is a 1985 Volvo 240. I am slotting the project timeframe for a little after my move (likely late june/early july to start). I'm really new to the world of automotive repair and alteration, and so I'm looking for a person or group who might enjoy being my mentor, live and in-person. People who might have some tools and enjoy spending their weekend tinkering with Volvos for free beer with someone who's a notoriously fast learner.

The last person who owned the car was a do-it-yourself person, and though they knew what they were doing, they were also lazy. So, some of the wiring has been patched, or rerouted, and some of it may just plain not be hooked up. Here is what I would like to do with the car:

  • Remove and rebuild the engine, replacing worn and defective parts
  • Perform a fairly major rewiring of the vehicle.
  • Remove and replace the interior, including the dash, seating, door panels, and carpetting.
  • Replace the stereo system, rewiring where necessary.
  • Performance upgrades (Adjustable cam gear, VX Performance camshaft, possibly some exhaust work)
  • Strip and repaint the car.

I may also want to make some wonderful cosmetic upgrades at some point, such as a custom grill, new chrome, etc.

I realize that it would probably be easier to simply get a new car, but that wouldn't teach me a damn thing, and I wouldn't have the same sense of pride...plus, I love my Volvo. She's served me well, and I think she deserves it. If anyone is part of a Volvo club of some sort, I would be more than happy to let people come out and do it as a club project as well, for anyone who wanted to learn more about Volvo repair.

Any takers? I won't commit unless I can find some people who might be interested. :) But I doubt there's much harm in putting it out there.

Reply to
Xian