Quickly determining if its just road noise versus shocks, suspension, etc.

I've got a "newer" Volvo -- 2001 V40.

When driving over a moderately rough road (some broken pavement with cracks and small potholes less than two inches deep), I get the normal road noise of the suspension cyclcing. Every once in a while, I hit a one small enough for a fast cycle and I get a "PONK!" type of sound.

What are the quick-and-easy tests that I can do to see if this is just me being overly cautious versus a suspension problem, before I go to the shop?

Reply to
byrocat

First thing I always check is how much money I've got.

Reply to
jg

If you asked me this question a few years ago I wouldn't have told you that I would suspect a strut first. But, considering how fast the El-Cheapo front struts disintegrated on my XC 70, I'd go for that first. Next step would be to get underneath the car and start to start yanking components back and forth at full strengtn. Actually, take that last comment back and put it on the back burner. As crappy as Volvo ball joints are these days, just jack up the car on the side that you think that the sound is coming from and with that wheel only a couple of inches off the ground, LEVER something under the bottom of the tire and see if there is play. If there is, it's ball joints. Also, with each front wheel up of the ground just an inch, try to wobble the wheel back and forth with one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom. Noticeable movement is unacceptable.