Shocks, rubicon trail, etc.

Hey all,

I've been quiet for a while now, but have a few questions that I need some help with.

  1. I need new shocks for my 97 TJ. I do a lot of off-roading on sand dunes, on which I get airborne quite a bit. This means that I'd need something relatively tough that doesn't bottom out all the time, but its also important that it's not too stiff for road use, especially on something as light as a TJ. Any ideas? I've heard that RS9000s are too stiff, while DT3000s and Old Man Emu's are great. Then again I dont want these things bottoming out when I'm on the dunes. Maybe something self-adjusting like the RSX's?

  1. I'll be visiting Los Angeles for 3 days from half way around the world. Having heard so much about the Rubicon trail, I'd definitely like to give it a try. I'd like to ride with anyone planning to do this trail, or I wouldn't even mind joining a tour company, if any exists. I plan to be there from Sept 11th to the 14th.

  2. In addition to the shocks, I'm looking at polyurathane mounts and bushes, forged alloy rims, a good water pump and even maybe an aluminium radiator for my TJ. What would be the best place in LA to get stuff like this. As I mentioned, I'd only be there for 2-3 days so I need to order in advance and pick up when I get there.

TIA, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver

The Tahoe area is several hundred miles away from LA. You'd have to fly to Reno or spend a couple days on the road.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Oliver proclaimed:

The RS9000 is OK on something like a ZJ, but unless you like riding on bricks, a bit too stiff for a TJ. If you go dynamic adjusting, give a though to the Edelbrock IAS as well.

The Rubicon is a good days drive from Los Angeles area, being up near Lake Tahoe. That would be a pretty long day no matter which of several routes you take. If you don't mind spending a day on the trip up, try going east to 395 and up along past Mono Lake. Or head a bit further east and head up thru Nevada thru Death Valley and cut back up to Tahoe at Carson City or the Carson Pass.

Urethane mounts make stiff shocks seem even stiffer. They also tend to squeak like heck unless properly installed, and often need a retightening after 30-60 days.

Reply to
Lon

I think you guys might be talking about the RS5000s. Yes, the RS5000s are too darn stiff. I used them for a while until my kidneys had had enough. But the new RS9000s have a 9-way dampering adjustment where you can set the level of stiffness you like. I use'em now and like them alot. But they are alittle pricer than the DT3000s. I used the DT3000s a while too. They were Ok and a good comprimise for the price, but I personally thought they were a little too soft for my rig. I have no experience with the Old Man Emu's and the RSXs.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Terry Jeffrey proclaimed:

No, I mean the RSX9000, 9 position adjustable, with or without the optional in-cab control. Some folks consider them too stiff. I don't as I also have them, but I ain't everyone.

Reply to
Lon