92 GTI starter/solenoid problem

I have a 1992 automatic GTI which has the famous hot-start problem: when the engine is hot, it will not start. There is no noise except the faint hum of the fuel pump (?). Once the engine cools down (was 15-30 minutes in the winter; now 1-2 hours in the summer--but probably the problem is getting worse too) it starts fine. Presumably this is because the solenoid gets hot, its resistance increases, and the terminal 50 voltage is then insufficient to engage it.

Impatient with this, I cut the ignition cable that goes to to the starter ("Terminal 50") and have been starting the car by touching the end of this wire to the positive battery terminal (only ~4 times), in lieu of putting in a relay that will accomplish the same thing. However, I just tried this most recently, and nothing at all is happening, including no arc when I touch the terminal 50 cable (going to the starter(solenoid)) to the battery, as if it were an open circuit. Could the solenoid finally have fried?

thanks, Tobin Fricke

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

Time to replace the starter and make sure there is a heat shield on the starter.

Reply to
Woodchuck

"Woodchuck" wrote

With an automatic, maybe not for some people, but for me was a real bitch when I changed an automatic GolfGL A2, starter I think I had to pull the axle, the back engine mount - hold up the engine - there may be easier ways to do it. Stick-shift starter is easy to replace not automatic. I did it twice some years ago. The first time it took me hours.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

how old is your battery? it could be on the weak side and just not putting out enough juice. the starter location and heat is a problem as well but a good battery should be able to overcome that. I eventually had this problem with my 5-speed GTI...when the car was warm the battery couldn't put out enough juice to overcome the resistance from the heat. it's a more frequent issue w/the automatics, but nevertheless a good battery should be able to handle it.

Reply to
Matt B.

Battery is fine. Solenoid seems dead, as if there is a break in the circuit somewhere (in the solenoid windings?).

Tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

What sort of heat shield should be used, and where is it obtained?

thanks, Tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

Yeah, it seems to be in the most inconvenient place possible. I'm going to leave this one to a well-equipped professional. (-:

tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

I would try VW first for the heat shield since they made the car. If it's no longer made then the junk yard. But check to see if yours is still OK. i.e. not missing or rusted away.

Reply to
Woodchuck

"Tobin Fricke" wrote

It is a pressed-steel cover that goes over the starter. It has 3 mounting holes (if I remember correctly) when you loosen the starter the shield comes off too. One end of the shield where the mounting holes are, it comes down at a right-angle from the top cover part of the shield to be correctly positioned over the starter. I actually have an automatic starter laying around here when I changed my Golf from automatic to stick-shift - the starter is different with a stick so I had to change that too.

Harry

Reply to
Harry