Brake Problems on 99.5 New Jetta TDI

I have a 1999.5 New Jetta TDI with ABS which I recently took in to a dealer for the 80K mile service. They had to replace the rear brake pads and rotors. No surprise there. But now I have an intermittent problem with what feels like the brakes grabbing. I thought it felt like a sticky caliper and took it back to the dealer. They checked it out and didn't find any problems. They said they took it for a drive, but owing to the intermittent nature of the problem, they didn't see any problem.

Most of the time, the peddle goes half way down to stop the car. However, when the problem with the grabbing starts, I barely have to tap the peddle for it to stop dramatically. If I stomp on the peddle a few times, the problem seems to subside.

Given that they put new fluid in, could this be a problem of air in the system? Could the master cylinder be going? Has anyone else encountered these symptoms?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

I have replaced a few brake boosters for issues like yours. Especially on TDI's.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What's something like that likely to cost?

David

Reply to
David

I had an issue with the rear hand brake cables seized, and rear caliper hand brake mechanism failing, I hear its fairly common too.

Thanks Last VW forevever I promise, hopefully. I'm getting tired under the hood. last five minutes spent changing busted stabilizer bar link (platic) wtf.. Alex

Thanks Woodchuck for the diagnosis, replaced the AC (AC clutch), I'm blowin f***** icicles again.

Reply to
Alex