Extra bolts after 2000 1.8T timing belt replace ?

I just replaced all the belts and water pump on 2000 Passat w/1.8T ATW engine. The only hitch is that there are two extra 5mm socket head bolts. I can't remember where they go. Nothing has fallen off yet, but the extra bolts bug me.

TIA for helping remember where these (2) 5mm bolts belong.

Reply to
Andrew Eckhardt

The only thing I can think of that uses those is the fan pulley. If I remember anything else, I'll answer again. Good luck.

Reply to
LG

I hate when that happens! lol

5mm socket head bolts and not 6mm bolts? Could they be for the bumper behind the headlights or the radiator support?

Carefully look here and retrace your steps in your mind

Sorry that those two sites are for the AEB engines but the pictures are nice and clear. ;-)

also you could join the 2 passat groups on yahoo vwpassat passats

AND congrats on doing it! How long did it take you?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yeah, it just so happens one came in today (also a 2000) and this on only had the allen screws on the bumper. It's the newer ones that have the fan pulley that uses them. The 5mm screws thread upwards into the black plastic bumper support under the headlights that wraps around and clips into the fender.

Reply to
LG

Maybe I am mistaken LG, but it sounds like I would have to take the bumper support off again to put these back in, right? If so, I may want to wait until next time I put the front in the "service position" (as it is called).

Nothing popped into mind as I retraced the job while following the pointers from Dave.

BTW, it took about 10 or 11 hours altogether to replace everything. I found that the old water pump bearing was getting a little wobbly and the AC belt was pretty cracked. The timing belt itself didn't look too bad though. With all the new stuff in place, the engine runs much quieter now.

LG wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Eckhardt

Yes, you would have to remove the bumper cover.

Reply to
LG