front windshield rust on '89 golf

Is there any way a shadetree mechanic can remove the front windshield on an '89 Golf, blast out the rust, and make it water-tight again?

Or do I have to take it to a body shop and spend the $650?

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

Sledge hammer?

Have a glass shop pull the window (for free usually), you repair the body and have them install new glass. In my experience, the window will almost always crack on its way out.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

just went through this with an '88 GTI. Just bust out the windshield, paint the lip with POR-15 then call the glass shop to come out and put in another one. Since it's glued in, it's hard to get it out without breaking, and mine was sandblasted anyway so I didn't mind replacing it. I had to do the same to the hatch; that is easy as it's a conventional gasket.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel