Re: Why do my revs keep dropping? (Mk3 Golf GTi)

Hi, I'm having similar (very occasional) problems with my 1996 Mk3 GTi. I read somewhere this may be down to the Idling Stabilisation Valve needing cleaning, but not being mechanically minded I haven't yet tried whipping this thing out yet & having a look.

Anyone else had this and solved it? Please give (simple) instructions & I can give it a try.

Cheers

Neil

Hi, > > I have just starting experiencing a problem which I hope someone can > shed some light on - when I'm slowing my car down, at a junction for > example, and I take my foot off the accellerator, the needle on the > rev counter drops way down before popping back up to normal idling > speed. > > It's ok if I'm just easing off the gas to change gear, then bringing > the revs back up again, but on occasion, when I'm not immediately > bringing the revs back up again, the needle drops to 0 and the car > stalls. It's not like it comes to a juddering halt or anything, it > just dies, but always starts up again without any problems. > > I was thinking it might be a sensor somewhere, but I wouldn't know > where to start checking, so if anyone has seen this before, or has any > ideas, I'd be very grateful. > > Thanks > > GW
Reply to
Neil Smith

Well, I started having a look at this last week, but Hayne's BoL wasn't too clear and I wasn't sure where this valve is. However, when I took the big air hose off where it connects to the top of the engine, there was a whole mess of crud just this side of the flap which get's opened and closed by the throttle (how technical am I?).

The air filter was spotless having been replaced a little while ago. I'm guessing I may not have put the filter box together properly and air was being drawn from above....just as well the miles are knocking on I guess as there's a little oil about this side off that flap I mentioned, which seems to have caught all the grit - other side of the flap is nice and shiny.

Cleaned it all up and checked the filter box, and it's been fine since.

G.

Reply to
Gordon Welsh