How to access headlights for replacing on 96" Sonoma ?

Looks like a plastic vanity shield above the front grill. Truck as 9005 and 9006 capsules,

ndccpf1 wrote:

With the composite lights there are about 4 different methods depending on which lights you actually have. One is a pair of plastic tabs that will pull up to release the entire light assembly. Those will be on the backside of the core support. Another method is two threaded pins used to go down from the top and retain the light assembly. For that one look for two inverted torx heads on a long shaft that goes down through the light housing (Make sure you DON'T get the adjusters instead). The pins unscrew and then pull up. Another that was used was three screws through the back of the headlight mount bracket into plastic inserts in the core support, remove the screws to remove the light assembly. The last system used tabs located on the headlight assembly itself. Those you released by rotating the tabs and releasing the light from the adjuster mounts.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Hi Steve,
This version has the two inverted Torx shafts (two per headlamp). One is higher than the other and I thought these were used to adjust the vertical/horizontal positions. There is also two Phillips head screw assemblies recessed down in the grill area. the inverted torx shafts have little black covers on them that pop off exposing the shaft.
ndccpf1 wrote:

One pair on the headlight mount adjust the lights. Those will be down near the lights under the plastic trim panel.
The ones that remove the light stick up above the panel. One will be in a hole in the core support next to the hood bumper and the other will be just in front of the core support and to the left of the headlight, inline with the grill. They will be either inverted torx or hex headed.
Take a look at http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u@80238&a2611765&fon the ones with labels you will find one with the retainer pins and one with the pull tab retainers
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Hi Steve,
This is great information ! I will be replacing the lamps tomorrow for my brother-in-law. I have a 06' GTI, 98' B4000 and 06' Pathfinder...the B4000 (aka Ford Ranger) has kept me busy this last year in repairs :(
Phil

All done. Replaced the lamps this afternoon. Thanks again ! Strange design from what I'm used to but it worked. Only thing is you don't get the feel for when the Torx post is all the way down ,,,,seems like you can keep turning till something snaps.