Towing S10 4X4 ??

Earlier I posted a tow light question in this group and another..

I got a recommendation regarding gear (5spd) and transfer case that has me puzzled a bit..

It was suggested that I should tow with the T-case in nuetral.. and the tranny in gear.. I had never considered this since I wasn't aware that the T-case nuetral actually disengages the rear drive train... (BTW my S-10 doesn't have hubs.)

Correct me it this is wrong and I should tow in some other configuration.

Now, with this in mind, would this mean that a 4x4 with automatic could be towed, as long as the T-case is in nuetral??

Opinions??

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You can't disengage the rear end. Your driveshaft will always spin unless you take your diff. apart and remove the gears.

What does your owner's manual suggest?

That is always what I was told. With it in neutral, it won't spin your output shaft in the tranny.

Reply to
Chevguy

When I mention disengaging "the rear drive train" I mean from the rear output of the tranny to the rear end, as it does with the front drive shaft.

Steve

Reply to
Steve