XM radio loses presets

Has anyone had this problem? I have a new 2005 TL with Nav system. Every few days the satellite radio loses all its presets for an hour or so. All the on-screen "buttons" and mechanical buttons default to XMs Channel 1 and the on-screen buttons all show the number 1 instead of the channel I set. After a few minutes to a couple of hours, the presets are restored; usually after I have turned the ignition off though this doesn't always fix the problem. I am not disconnecting the battery and the AM and FM presets don't do this. I have had it back once to the dealer, when it was working fine of course, and they found nothing wrong. They rebooted the radio (or so they said) but this didn't fix the problem. Any ideas? Apparently no-one has heard of this problem. I'm frustrated and thinking of demanding they just replace the whole unit.

Thanks

Reply to
David Hurwitz

Just because they can't dupe it in the shop doesn't mean it isn't happening. This is much too expensive of a car for the owner to be overly tolerant of a recurring technical problem. I realize the difficulty in troubleshooting an intermittent electrical problem, but I also think you've been pretty specific in describing it, especially since as you say it is not affecting any of your other presets. It's clearly a problem in the XM unit. I think if it were me, the second time I was in for the same problem I would ask to speak to the service manager. I would also be on my very best behavior and make no demands or ultimatums. Rather I would just courteously explain that I'm unhappy with their repair efforts thus far and feel that for the sake of customer goodwill that this time the unit should be replaced.

Beware that this comes with its own set of caveats. First of all they might not have one in stock. Secondly, if your XM unit is replaced your XM subscription will have to be transferred to the new radio, a process which is completely out of the dealership's control and which on occasion can be fought with its own set of frustrations and disappointments. That battle ultimately comes down to something that's between you and XM. They'll get it right, just maybe not the first time.

Reply to
Lexus Owner

I am not sure the problem is the XM unit in your car. I have an XM Roady that I use in my house, my car, and my office, and sometimes all of the presets go to channel 1, the XM Preview channel. I think it could be that your unit is not getting its authorization code. This issue once became such a problem that I called XM and they were sympathetic but couldn't do anything at their end. They suggested that my antenna wasn't working right, but since I was getting channel 1 loud and clear I pretty much dismissed that idea. Eventually it all started to work fine again, but every now and then it's back to channel 1 again.

Reply to
Alphageek

I had something like this happen a few times, and then realized it was the User1/User2 difference. Each user has different radio presents, so the time I used a different remote or seat setting on the door, it seemingly erased my settings.... Easy fix once I figured it out....

Carl

Reply to
Carl S. Moore