The new A6 unveils!

MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN!!!!!!!!!

The front of the new A6 is UGLY............no...........FUGLY!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL. Some people at Audi should be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess it makes the A6 that precede it that much more valuable....

Reply to
b22r

Probably the TDI version.

Reply to
Ernest

In alt.autos.audi, "b22r" wasted keystrokes on the following:

Mark my words.. you'll get used to it soon enough, and then the new A6 will be the bomb. I don't think the new front is too bad anyway..

I never really liked the skinny-looking rear of the current A6 that much. The new rear is much *much* improved.

Reply to
Bram

I like it a lot actually, reminds me of the old Mercs from the 1960s and 1970s (great car, the 1969 MB 250 we had), and makes it stand out in a good way.

I totally agree here, too. This car is distinctive looking in a very nice way, not like the BMW.

Reply to
xymergy

She might have a nice rear end, but I can't stop staring at that enormous shnoz!

- Greg Reed

(For those not familiar with American slang, "shnoz" means "nose."

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
Greg Reed

MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN-MAN-O-MAN-O-MAN!!!!!!!!!

The last A6 had a horrible arse which has been sorted, I want to like this car but that grill is horrendous

Martin

Reply to
Martin Basil

Those of you living in Europe may have already seen the W12 A8 in person, and may have a more "personal" opinion of the new Audi family grill. However, we've not yet been personally exposed to this car in the U.S. and I think it's always somewhat hard to judge in pictures. When Porsche first released photos of the

996 Turbo, and then again when they released photos of the "restyled" front clip of the 996 with the Turbo lamps, I thought that they looked ugly. Nevertheless, when I actually had the chance to see both cars in person, I ended up liking them quite a bit. I think judgements on the car's new exterior should probably be held back till' the car has been seen in person. In any case, the interior looks gorgeous, and the placement of the in dash screen looks great. The only thing that concerns me is that Audi choose to squeeze 255Hp from a 3.2 V6 for the new car. In light of some of the new competition, especially the G35 and M45 sedans, I expected Audi to go with at least a 3.5. In addition, I think boring out the 4.2 to 4.5 litres and pumping it for 345Hp (as opposed to the 335 the new 4.2 will produce) would have been a smart move. Audi sells most of it's cars equipped with Quattro, which means they suffer a weight penalty and frictional losses not suffered by most of the RWD competition, the power is needed.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Agreed you need to see it in the flesh, I don't know when the A8 will make it to the UK and wait before making final judgement. That said the new A6 is actually a mish-mash of styles apart from the ugly snozzer there is Rover like retro detailing on the side shoulder and the bottom of the doors have BMW flute but the arse is a big improvement over the old A6 fat ladies bottom. To me there does not seem to be a consistent design theme almost as if it was designed by a committee. The old A6 has lovely sleek lines apart from the back but then the Avant has a great bum.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Basil

A pig dressed up in fancy clothing is still a pig. The front grill is FUGLY FUGLY FUGLY. Amazing to see how stupid car manufacturers can be! Poor pitiful Aud (WHAT WERE YOU THINKIN????)

I was at the Audi dealership this past weekend. The general consensus by the people there (when being honest vs. the rah rah rah sales pitch) was that the car had taken a hit in terms of looks (the conclusion coming from talking to past and potential future customers). People just plain don't like the front view. Whether that translates into loss of sales is another question. Myself? No way would I buy the thing...

My bet is that people will gravitate to the older models vs. this new FUGLY. Of course there maybe is the new VW?

Reply to
b22r

On the other hand, a wolf dressed in grandma's clothes is still a wolf.

I.e. Aftermarket designers will very quickly have modifications for grills available for customers. In fact this grill just needs an eyecatchers (because this one is ugly, yes).

It's IMO much easier making an ugly grill lok nicer than changing the bum of a car. And the bum of the new A6 is nice.

I'm curious as to what the Avant will look like, because the current one is really nice.

There is no VW that can match an Audi as far as interior, comfort functions and general appearance are concerned.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

After market kits won't work for Audi customers who want an understated car. Anyway these kits usually reduce the resale value.

Those in the UK may remember the Ford Scorpio's stupid grin and how it destroyed their large car business here. Well Audi should have learnt from that. The Scorpio was rightly ridiclued by the British motoring press and there are signs that they are doing the same to the new A6.

I don't suppose the front will change.

The current A6 Avant is as close to perfection as it gets.

Martin Basil A6 Avant

Reply to
Martin Basil

Isnt VW going to use a Maserati-RWD-platform to fill the gap between the Pheaton and the Passat??? And wouldnt that mean competition to the A6?

Edwin A6-Limo-with-a-bum-he-likes

Reply to
---== EHH ==---

Well, Audi just removed the A6 from my short list. Replacing my 1997 Mercedes E420 will one of the following:

2005 Lexus GS (all-wheel drive V6, or do I go for the V8?) 2005 Acura TL 2005 Infiniti M45 (or will it be 2006?)

BMW's 5-series is overpriced and ugly, and Mercedes' line-up no longer excites me either. I've seen roughly 50 photos of the new A6, and unless it's night-and-day different (better) in person, I won't bother to even test-drive it.

Oh well.

Randy

Reply to
Randy S

Yes. And between rumors of a 300Hp, 4Motion equipped Passat for $35k or less, the new C1 concept (the RWD car), and the Pheaton, VW's plan seems less like "expand our image" and more like "take business away from our sister company". Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

There is no AWD version of the GS. The only vehicle that Lexus sells with AWD is the RX330. If you want AWD, you'll need to look at: Audi A6 Quattro MB E-class 4Matic Infiniti G35x BMW 3--Xi

We're looking at this car for my mother. It's not as good a sports sedan as some of the competition, but if you're a more "relaxed" driver just looking for a little extra performance, it's nice. If you wait long enough, the new RL sedan will be out too.

If you're talking about the next M45, it'll probably be a 2006. The current model is a nice car, but it's really (IMHO) a muscle car wearing a tux. If you want something stiff and quick to 60 without splurging on an E55 or RS6 than it's a good choice.

I think it will be. I've seen some photos of it from a "standing" perspective (as opposed to pictures that were taken by someone crouching in front of the car) and it actually looked pretty cool. If you like the current body, the 2.7T is a hell of a buy. With the "updated" 265Hp engine, even the Tiptronic version can do 0-60 in like 6.1 seconds.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

It does seem crazy especially as the A8 is alloy and therefore much lighter and is now available with the W12 engine. Anyway the Pharton looks like an inflated Passat.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Basil

Just a note on your note. I test drove the 2003 M-45,. which I thought was kind of ugly, but it drove fantastic, certainly worth the price LOADED which was around $50,000

I was hoping they would bring the new M-45 which will be the almost exact coopy of the Fuga which they showed at the Tokyo auto show, which, at least to me, is a beautiful car.

Just my 2 cents

Reply to
HowdyDoody

The Pheaton is mostly aluminum as well, in fact, it gets something like 75% of it's parts from the A8.

I like the Pheaton, I think it's smart looking outside and gorgeous inside. But I'd rather have an A8L than a Pheaton W8 and the Pheaton W12 is $93,000 a bit much for a VW.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

TBH, go and take a look. I haven't, but I'd reached the same decision with the old-model BMW 3-series Compact.

Then I saw one.. and then bought one

It "kinda" helped that it was about GBP 3500 cheaper than a saloon of the same performance ($6500). Took me a few seconds to even recognise it, in the flesh, when I first saw it at Brussels airport.

OTOH, a bad case of the uglies can often hit the resale value..

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

No the Phaeton has a pressed steel body and is considerably heaver than the A8 which is all alluminium. They may share some engines and transmission but other than that the are completely different cars

Martin

Reply to
Martin Basil