timing belt replacement on '90 Turbo 200

I have just found out that this recently acquired car has not had it's drive belt replace in approximately 150,000 miles.

I assume I'm at risk of blowing the engine if I drive it AT ALL, now.

How long, without significant risk, do these belts normally last ?

Any guidance on DIY replacement ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

Most consider anything over 90K or five years (whichever comes first) to be a significant risk.

You should search the history on the T44 Audiworld forum. Lost of help on this.

't let the V8 in the link worry you that it the correct part of the forum. Lost of helpful people.

For DIY you will need to borrow or rent a special tool that holds the crank shaft to loosed and re tighten the main bolt to 240 ft/lbs. If you buy the parts from an on line source you can usually rent the tools.

Really quite a doable DIY project if you have the good part of a day to work on it. Be very sure you understand how to check the valve timing before you start. If you have any questions you might be better contacting a local independent Audi mechanic to do it for you. Just be sure to check around to ensure that the mechanic has a good reputation with Audis. I would guess that it would cost $500 to $700.

Be sure to replace the water pump, idler pulley and front seal at the same time.

T> I have just found out that this recently acquired car has not had it's

Reply to
Tony

Yikes! That's like, 70K overdue for a change. If your 200 was a cat, it would be on its last life...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

332 lb ft - 450 Nm at the bolt.