1998 BMW RUNS HOT WHEN STANDING STILL

I need help and I don't know where else to turn. Is it possible for someone to cause problems by putting a car on the rack? I have a 1998 BMW and I had it aligned last Saturday. There was nothing wrong with my car before I had it aligned. After I got home I parked the car and notice a leak on my driveway. I did not have the air on so I knew it wasn't from that. I have never had a leak before. The place had closed so I couldn't go back over to show them. I decided to drive it to the store and it drove fine until I stopped at a light for a while. It started to run hot. I started to pull over but it was too dark so I drove home. Once I started driving, it went back to normal. I have been driving it daily and it runs fine. However, if I stop at a light it continues to run hot. I did not want to accuse the company but I know my car was fine before the alignment. I also found about 4 little pieces of hard black plastic on my driveway. I have not hit anything and they weren't there before.

If this is something you can answer, please help me. I plan to go back to them in the morning to let them look at it. I do not wish for them to fix it because I think they only do alignments.

Sincerely,

Alice Shedrick

Reply to
alice1

likely coincidence, unless they opened your hood, or bumped something from underneath, rad or hose... did they tighten something they shouldn't have touched?..... likely coincidence. IMPORTANT: which BMW? what type of plastic did you find in the driveway? and do you have a independant BMW mechanic to go to? An alignment shop won't help you, and driving it is risky, you could damage the head gasket if it gets too hot, then you are seriously in trouble.... find a proper place and go there, don't just drive around!

if it is leaking, you will be low on coolant, so it really should be filled before you start the car again, then

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Thanks Sharkman,

I didn't see them performing the work so I can't say if they opened the hood or what? I just know that I was not having problems before. It's a

1998 528i. The plastic was about 4 small broken pieces lying under the front on the driveway. I can't rememeber which side but I think it was either center or the driver side because I saw it while walking the dog. I'm headed back to talk to the owner of the shop this morning but I wanted to make sure that it was something they could have done. I will be nice but I want them to know.

Could it be the thermostat?

Thanks,

Alice1

Reply to
alice1

if it was leaking, it is not just the thermostat, go to this site and inquire... it is the best place I know of! many mechanics on the board that can help you, but find out where it is leaking from first.

SharkmanBMW

Thanks for the info. I will take it in for service in the morning. I was really glad to see what others said that had the same problem.

Thanks again,

Alice

Reply to
alice1