Another BMW Newbie Question .....

On the subject of factory BMW "sound systems" ......... What was the first year in the BMW Series 3, that they had a "factory stereo sound system" that could play-back your own audio and MP3 "burned" CDs ?? And were there "different" sound system options back in the 2002-2004 model years ?? Thank you, in advance.

Reply to
amorg7777

I was playing burned CDs in my 1996 e36, I think that the all of the post I-Bus connected changers could play burned stuff, and at least 98 and up indash units would play burned stuff.

Reply to
Corey Shuman

Burned yes, but not MP3 files - not even in 2003 on the five series system.

Do the newer units play MP3 files? I didn't think so, but could be wrong.

ds

Reply to
DFS

I have an '02. It cannot play mp3's and while it will play CD-R's, it doesn't play them at all well.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Huh, I've got an 03 with the Business CD and it does fine with CD-Rs. I burn them using RealPlayer Rhapsody. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown
2006 330 has MP3 player standard.

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

MP3 playback is, I believe, an '05 and later feature, and then only on the in-dash CD player (MP3 is supposedly not available with Nav or the CD changer). Of course, you can always go aftermarket, or via the optional aux input.

Reply to
Darryl Okahata

Howdy, E.

It _could_ be the software I use. I use Nero, almost exclusively. Like I said, they will play but are very prone to skipping, etc. The player in my Dodge Truck plays them no problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

"DFS" wrote in news:Ba4he.17$rI1.10@trnddc02:

Of course, one can get the dealer add-on for many '02+ cars which allows you to connect up an iPod and control it through the basic stereo system.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Oberle

MP3 compatibility has been add to '05 models.

CD-R's very greatly on quality of medium and method used to write so results vary.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi
2005 X3 here. Stock CD players plays burned .mp3 files (burned as data -- not music files). So I can hold the equivalent of 6 or 7 CDs on just one CD. It reads each folder with .mp3s inside it -- so you can put one album (or one artist in a folder).

You can skip between folders by pressing the "m" button -- or without the m button, it will skip tracks within a folder.

You can also just put all songs on the root -- and have like 100 songs at the root.

This started with the 2005 X3 models (2004 can't do it).

Reply to
Eric