E30 Problem...

I am trying to figure out a problem with a friends car. It is an E30

325i.

Symptoms :

Car will start and run for a bit (10 minutes or so) and then randomly shut off. Doesn't do it every time but when it does it won't restart for a bit. When it shuts off, there is no power to the fuel pump and no spark. I have already checked the motronic relay and it is good. Also get power to the relay to operate it. As I said, once the car has sat for a bit, it will fire right back up. Any ideas???

Reply to
Psycho

Fuel pump relay?

Reply to
John Burns

Reply to
Psycho

Is it possible E30s stop spark via Motronic unit if the fuel pump doesn't run? Kinda like a couple of "chained" relays that a break in one prevents further operations.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Reply to
Bill

I am going to try to run the owner down tomorrow and see if I can't get an hour or so with the car and a meter. I believe I can track this down if I can just get a little peace and quiet to do it. Really nice car, it started as a MINT 87 318 and now sports the drivetrain (engine to rear wheels) and suspension of an 87 325is. Real shock to the Honda crowd around here... Ever wonder how fast an E30 can be stripped? Trust me, 3 guys from New York can suprise you. Stripped to the bare frame in under an hour, even the wiring harnesses and fuel tank...

Reply to
Psycho