Oil leak from an E28

My brother's old E28 520 is leaking oil past the front camshaft oil seal following replacement of a blown cylinder head gasket - and head planing. The seal itself was replaced on the head rebuild - and has been done again. It starts dripping about 10 minutes after a cold start and rapidly becomes a torrent. The engine runs perfectly otherwise.

He's certain the breather system is clear. It didn't do this before the head gasket failure - so is there anything associated that could cause it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm guessing it's a UK car so there's no EGR system, just a pipe from the valve cover to the inlet manifold.

Does the M20 have a spring loaded pressure relief valve on the oil pump? Might be stuck. It'd be worth fitting an oil pressure gauge to see. If I recall correctly correct pressure is about 2 bar.

Reply to
John Burns

Crankcase pressure is normal? If you open the EGR system up to air what happens?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yup.

Could that cause a leak? My brother says there's not excess oil inside the valve cover as viewed through the filler cap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)