Wheel width

I'm trying to work out what width alloy I want, what effect does it have on your driving at speed? I am thinking about getting a set of G60 steelies @

6" wide, but I am also considering alloys which are 7.5 - 8".

What does width have to do with performance?

Could anyone recommend some manufacturers?

Reply to
REMUS

Everything! A tire that is on "nominally" the correct width rim like say 185 on a 5.5 inch rim is as the tyre manufactured it for road use. Stick the same tyre on a 6 or 6.5 inch rim no problem, but it LOOKS much fatter and wider. It also has less sidewal flex so feels more accurate and instant without as much "slop" as it flops over when going left / right. More suited to hard cornering or racing. And the correct pressure is now higher to achieve even tread wear, so even better feel and feedback. But the rims hit the curb before the tyre, and the road noise is increased, and the harshness goes up!

Doing things the other way around, wide rubber narrow rims is a bit like sailing a boat!

The rims on my van

are 17 x 9 where 17 x 8 was advised by the tyre manufacturer for the 225 tyres. This was my cornering compromise! But the widest part is now the wheel rim! Too close to a curb, and bye bye wheel!

Mr kipling (cakes) Durex (protection) Highpower (nitrous) Suzuki (bhp per litre) etc....

Reply to
Burgerman

Hmm that definitely makes sense, what is the optimum diameter for B road hard driving in my golf?

Oh you cad! Stop being so silly and recommend me some alloys dear!

;)

Reply to
REMUS

Well its personal preferance! But get the WIDEST ones! If they fit of course...

Reply to
Burgerman

Righty, i'll cancel my bid on the G60 steelies then! I love it when you post, you always seem to know everything!

BTW that photo of you and your van is absolutely classic :)

Reply to
REMUS

Because i raced and broke everything and now I am old... And thats not me it one of my carers (one bloke for jobs like that 2 girls for trips to the pub etc...) I cant reach it I am stuck in a wheelchair after a nasty bike/ditch incident.

Reply to
Burgerman

?????????????????? He's flipped... ??????????????????

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Suspect pop.

Reply to
Burgerman

Looking a little pale mate, I'd up the nutes if I were you ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Nice ;) Do you greenhouse it, British weather isn't ideal. I can't imagine the neighbours would appreciate the stink those things put out!

Hydroponics, in an underground weed lair is the way forward!

Reply to
REMUS

LOL at underground weed lair.

You could always go for the Cheech and Chong method, and grow it in a covered swimming pool...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

It grew on its own outside and all I did was water it a few times. It got to about double that size but I left it out all winter and it expired. Looks like a xmas tree in feb now...

Reply to
Burgerman

It had to look after itself im afraid... Outside.

Reply to
Burgerman

Would drilling holes in alloys to suit 4x100 fitment be a silly idea? I've seen some Porsche split rim alloys for sale but they are 4x108, There are plenty of alloys out there with multi fitment but I guess they are engineered to take the stress?

Reply to
REMUS

Youve been smoking again?

Reply to
Burgerman

nooo...

*runs*
Reply to
REMUS

Don't worry about drilling, they'll go on if you hit them hard enough with a hammer.

I got a wheel from a Micra and a wheel from a Fiesta to fit on a Metro using this technique.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Dont forget araldite.

Reply to
Burgerman

No, I didn't use any of that. I just screwed the wheelnuts back on to the splayed studs. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Worth mentioning at this time the fact that wider tyres greatly reduce your grip in the wet, and create a lower speed limit than the stock width.

I don't mean notional limit, I mean the speed you can travel at and still have grip from the tyres will go down in real terms.

Reply to
Questions