3/4 ton trucks.... what to get

Hi -- I'm in the market for a used (2000 or newer) 2500. I need to get more specific on what features I actually want.. so I'm soliciting your opinions.

It'll be my only vehicle for a while, and mostly used for just driving around town. But I want to pull my horses w/ it, and when I do, I want good performance. I'm in Colorado, so we're talking mountains. Trailer is a gooseneck, weighs about 4500, plus anywhere from 1 - 3 horses.... so 6000 - 8500 pounds is about all I'll ever want to pull with it.

I'd love a diesel, but doubt I can afford it. Do I need the 6.0 V8, the 8.1 V8? Is the 6.0 available in HD models, or just standard 2500s? Sounds like the Allison Tranny does everything you could want for towing... but if I don't get an HD (AT only available on HDs, is that right?), what do I want to make pulling nicer?

I'll probably get an extended cab short bed. And I'd love to do anything I can to get the best fuel economy without a load.

I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks, Carol

Reply to
Carol M

The 2500HD comes standard with the 6.0. The 8.1 is a gas drinker. The transmission behind the 6.0 is very good. Are you looking at all trucks or just GM?

Here is the Chevy truck page:

?year=2004&makeId=001&make=Chevrolet&modelId=003&model=Silverado Al

Reply to
Big Al

for good performance you'll want the 8.1 or the duramax... I just completed a 1200 journey w/ a 2004 GMC 3500 cube van dually towing a Izusu rodeo on a car carrier ( about 5,000 lbs towed). the van had the 6.0 in it. on any grade greater than 4% I was down into second feathering the throttle to keep it from overheating. the 6.0 is the standard engine on a 2500HD. you should be able to get the NV5600 6 speed in a 2500HD. if I were you, towing in the rockies, I'd get a

3500 and make damn sure my trailer brakes work.

you're asking a tough question... trying to get good fuel economy out of a vehicle that will have to have good towing performance in the rockies... I'm not sure it can be done really...

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Be very pacient and keep looking and you will find your Diesel for the price of a Gas truck. a friend of mine just got a year old 2500HD Diesel Dodge 4x4 auto for $30k, so there are a few out there with a good price tag on them. big power and good fuel economy just dont mix with gas.

Reply to
Trey

With truck sales being down I'd bet you could get a new regular cab Diesel for $30,000. GM just raised the rebates yesterday. If I was buying a Diesel, I would not buy the automatic. My friend owns a transmission shop and he has five Allison's on the bench right now. Same for the Ford and Dodge automatics. The guys that punish their trucks are killing the dual mass flywheels so maybe it the same mentality that kills the autos.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

For Colorado mountain driving, I would think the auto would be a good idea so you can keep both hands on the wheel. Is the dual mass flywheel in the auto or the manual (always thought autos had a flexplate) So they kill the autos, and they kill the dual mass flywheels, so what would you recomend? sounds like "choose your poison" I will have to check out those new rebates.

Reply to
Trey

?year=2004&makeId=001&make=Chevrolet&modelId=003&model=Silverado>

Al -- If I get a gas, I think it'll be GM or Ford; what I've read in Consumer Reports about the gas Dodge's (granted, they're all 1500s) does not impress me. If I can afford a diesel, I think I'd be happy with any of them!

Thoughts?

Carol

Reply to
Carol M

?year=2004&makeId=001&make=Chevrolet&modelId=003&model=Silverado>>

Dont know about the newer engines, but I know the 5.2 and 5.9 dodge v8 and the v10 really suck the gas. I get about 12mpg in my '99 dak 4x4 with the

5.2. The Cummins diesel is hard to beat though, but I like that Alison trans so it makes for a tough call.
Reply to
Trey

?year=2004&makeId=001&make=Chevrolet&modelId=003&model=Silverado> >

Just got back from Steamboat Springs and after getting my Duramax broke in according to the book (Hold below 50 mph for the first 500 miles of towing). For the first time, pulling about a 6000 pound trailer, I went up the west approach to the Eisenhower tunnel passing most everyone. Mileage averaged about 16. I used to just get behind a slow moving truck and tag along at 10 to 15 mph. Going out I was at the top of Floyd hill before I realized that I was still running in overdrive.

On the downside it looks like maintenance is going to be quite a bit more expensive. The dealer charges $70 for an oil change. However, they keep sending big discount coupons. Alternative is Wally World or doing it myself

Reply to
HRL

The Dodge. Ford and GM Diesels all have dual mass flywheels on the manual transmissions. They are like two flywheels with a rubber separator between them. The idea is to smooth out the brutal torque shocks at low RPM to save the rest of the drive line. You're asking a hell of a lot to push 550 ft pounds of torque through a torque converter at the low RPM the turbo Diesels can do it at. BTW: The stick GM Diesels are way down on torque compared to the autos. Ford and Dodge are the same.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

So what do they do in the big 13 liter diesel tracktor trailer rigs? Is this done so they can get away with a lighter drive line and not have it fall apart? Very interesting idea though.

Reply to
Trey

To back that up, it was noted a while ago that the new LLY Duramax was rated 590 ft. lb. torque with the Allison but only 520 ft. lb. with the manual tranmission. Someone then noted the reason for the difference was that the Allsion was rated for 590 but the manual was rated only for 520 ft. lb.

Reply to
HRL

This is to Bret, w/ the 3500 Van. You were working to not overheat pulling only 5000?? That's w/ the vortec 6.0? Do you have tow mode and a tranny cooler?

thanks, Carol

Reply to
Carol M

yep... it wanted to overheat going up the grades leading up to the eastern continental divide on I 68 in Maryland.. 6.0l engine, towing about 5000 lbs, with the 15' box stuffed full of my possessions (it was a Penske rental truck) I used tow/haul the entire trip and averaged about 9MPG. The truck had an wet and a dry cooler for the

4l80E trans. the brakes in the ton dually were quite adequate (in addition to the surge brakes on the trailer) esp on the downside of the divide.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Why is the text almost identical to the OP? with just minor changes in favor of the 3500? and whats with the pictures?

************* OP: Hi -- I'm in the market for a used (2000 or newer) 2500. I need to get more specific on what features I actually want.. so I'm soliciting your opinions.

[...]

Reply to
Trey