Replacing Golf A3 seat cushion

I am about to replace the driver's side seat cushion in my '98 Golf A3, the left cheek support having completely failed. I gather from searching the archives that I am by no means the first to have to do this. The reason I'm writing is while I'm comfortable around cars and have no problems pulling the seat out and so forth, I have zero experience with upholstery. Since this is my only vehicle, I'd like to have things lined up before I start this. I've ordered a new cushion from the dealer. Assuming somebody out there has done this, will I need any special upholstery tools to reattach foam to seat cover or restretch the cover over the seat? Anything anybody can offer telling me what I'm going to find when I pull that seat apart and what (if any) special tools are required would be much appreciated. I have the Bentley manual and am fine with removing the seat and taking the seat back off; it's what comes next that concerns me.

- Mark W.

Reply to
Mark Willstatter

Simple ask...we have done perhaps 100 or more. Recline knob cover pulls off...bolt comes out..... then on other side cover, circlip...headrest has two retaining clips then pulls out....black tubes it goes through snap into seat back frame--easier to pull uphostery up but irrelevant if only replacing seat bottom cushion as we do most of the time.

THe sad thing is that these cushions that fail commonly were ~ $40. for nine years and now are about $100. MORE! No discount source found, we are buying htem at whatever dealer.

Best luck! Joel Osserman, proprietor Select Transportation-Top 10 Buyer VW Off Lease USA '85-2001

0685 Waterloo-Geneva Rd. Waterloo, NY 13165 (315)-789-9368 phone (315)-789-9018 fax Always a choice of, 1995+ off-lease VW/Audi See us @
SELECT TRA

I had to do this to my A1. A very scary proposition! I was afraid that I wouldn't get it back together again and would have to buy a whole new seat!! I got my cushion from the passenger side of a junked car. I learned a lot while taking that off and it helped me know what to expect when I did mine. So if you can find one in a junkyard to practice on, that's my suggestion. Mine turned out fine!

Reply to
John Riley

Thanks, Joel - I paid $86.55 for mine at the local VW dealer. I read somewhere the price had more than doubled because the cushion had been upgraded. I hope so - I'd just as soon only do this once!

- Mark W.

Reply to
Mark Willstatter