Best way to clean out my HEI

LOL... I came home on December 28th and immediately popped the top on the carb to swap the jets for smaller ones in an attempt to lean it out. I dropped in a 350/290hp crate motor over a year ago and when the stock Quadrajet carb made it run rough, I tossed it in favor of an Edelbrock performer series. I have never been able to lean it out, and only in the last few months did I get *really* serious about figuring out the problem.

So it was down to the jets. I pulled the old ones, replaced them with the new ones, and put it all back together...except I forgot to reconnect the fuel line to the carb!!! When I hit the starter, it pumped gas all over the backside of the engine and hit the hot exhaust pipe. It immediately went "poof" and I had a burning engine. Luckily a woman nearby had some half-empty water bottles in her car that I used to douse the flames with.

10 second mistake has kept my truck off the road for a month now. I got the replacement wiring harness ready to install, hopefully I can do it today. I got sick yesterday, but so far this morning it's just a stuffy head, so we'll see.

You can see the damage at

The rest of it's fine, just filthy :-) It's got a good body, only a little surface rust around the tailgate, all pretty much stock for now. Better axles and a lift, as well as some custom body work are in its future, but first I gotta get back on the road. Walking to work sucks!

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

By the way, try to get a Radio Shack catalog. I managed to get one of the thick ones, and you'd be surprised how much stuff they actually "carry". I say carry, not stock. They still have the ability to get a lot of good stuff compared to what they keep in the stores.

By the way, this was my favorite Radio Shack toy back in the day:

~jp

Reply to
Jon Pickens

In the after market world there are two battery manufactures producing

85% of what's sold in this country, Johnson Controls and Excide. That's it. And one is no better or worse than the other. They both seem to go in cycles of producing top line products and then absolute junk. So price and warranty are my deciding factors when I buy replacements. The retailers, like Wal-Mart, Sears, AutoZone etc switch manufactures like yo-yos based on which one will give them a better price. So you can go to Sears and spend 59.99 for a 5 year warranty 12 months free replacement and then pro-rated the last 4, or go buy the exact same one from AutoZone for $59.99 but get a 7 year warranty, free two year replacement, then pro-rated the last 5.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You were and are more in to it then me. My dad had a BBS, ran it from

88 till 93. He sat my brother and my self down in late 1993 and asked us if we had any interest in operating a ISP. He already priced the T-1 & a 25 phone line pair. Neither of us was that interested.

My brother who is 26 works in a I.T. Department at a Environmental Engineering firm. Our dad was A "I.T." department before their was such a thing (Jr Executive) at a Mechanical, proto-type, machine control & Electrical Engineering firm. I took after my dad's Mechanical Abilities (former NHRA SS/A racer, Pro Mechanic, Vehicle customs).

I used to be able to do simple design work in Auto Cad (don't ask the version), I used to slap computers together from parts (I can still do simple repairs on mine), used to fix broken car radios. For a few years I even did some Website design and graphic work.

These days... I can still use a Unix Terminal, do simple Electronics work, manage not to screw up my windows XP-Pro, or kill my P-II 450. I use a OLD Omni-Key 102 Keyboard (had it since 1988) made by North gate systems with a adapter to IBM PS-2 style plug. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I used to have one of those! My uncle got it for me and my brother way back I think I was 8. When I was a kid I used to love those radio shack radio kits. They looked like a big wooden board game box. You wire them up in different configs and get different signals. If you did one right it would send a signal.

I like stores that have items in stock. Sometimes I don't realize what I need until Im standing in front of it. Works that way when I go to Jegs. It's like a 13 year old in a full nude strip club. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

The closest I got to running an ISP was back in like '96...Me and dad became resellers for a local ISP. They're still around, you gotta dig through the phonebook for one though.

If you know/knew AutoCAD you may be interested in this...I found a website called emachineshop.com. You can download their free Windows-based software and design a part. Then you can submit it over the web and get an instant quote on how much it'd be to have it built. They have several different methods of building metal parts and it seems it'd be really good for prototyping. I plan on using them to prototype some guitar parts I've had ideas for.

I wish I'd been exposed to Unix at an earlier age. It just wasn't important enough to have around the house. Dad was having good success when he switched over to a DOS platform with an application called MultiLink that allowed for memory management and multiple tasks (multiple terminals). The company later released a full OS called PC-MOS which did the same thing without requiring DOS as a platform. I'm running Linux at home now, but haven't got into it enough yet. I'm probably gonna take a Unix class to beef up my skills. Using it reminds me of when I was first starting with DOS and didn't know anything.

I take after my Dad too...He and I were both professional musicians. I did that exclusively for while. I'd like to get back to that. Sure beat working for a living!

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Those RS kits were cool! I've actually thought of getting a more advanced version of one of the digital kits just to get a little knowledge on the subject, as I'm trying to get into embedded micro-controllers and need to get some basic D/A and A/D under my belt.

When RS still had a lot of good stuff, I couldn't leave without spending money. Now my biggest problem is eBay. Between truck parts and accessories, guitar related stuff, and just general crap that I run across, I'm always watching like 20 items. Luckily I can restrain myself from buying *most* of it :-)

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

When it comes to cleaning grese, im a fan of the "Fast Orange." After the grease is off, I use soap and water to get off any left over Fast Orange.

Whats your problem with water?

Reply to
dnoyeB

Cause water and metal distributor parts don't mix...

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I dont see why not? As long as you dry them off you are ok!?

Reply to
dnoyeB

I'd rather use brake cleaner or something...just as long as it's non-conductive as Shades mentioned. I don't know if brake or carb cleaner is non-conductive stuff.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

dont matter if its conductive or not. No matter what you use *all* of it must be cleaned away before you reassemble it. Thats why I think the only concern is that its not corrosive toward the parts.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Actually today I picked up a can of the non-conductive electric motor cleaner as recommended.

That removed a lot of loose debris and allowed the rest to be scraped off cleanly using a small precision screwdriver.

A few more short blasts of cleaner got it cleaner than it was before the fire. I didn't have to do anything to remove the cleaner either--it's super-fast evaporating.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens