draining auto trans

Oh jeez!

Key being "thick bead." Chrysler have been using an RTV sealer for many years to attach/seal their transmission pans. As always, if you go hog wild, things may not work as well.

IIRC, there was a vent port on the 700R4s, very close to the edge of the pan rail that could be blocked by using too much RTV, but this is not the same as RTV being injested and clogging the pump intake. If the instructions say use a 1/8" bead, use a 1/8" bead.

I use RTV on all the Chrysler 41TEs that I service, I also get at least three applications from a small tube of RTV. Haven't had a problem in 14 years, though it would be nice if the local Dodge dealership would stock the friggin re-useable gaskets anyway.

Anyway, cautions are good, but the caution should be appropriate.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

that's a port to vent the back-side of the 4th apply piston

when it gets clogged with RTV, you have very slow 4th gear apply, resulting in a burnt band

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D OMG.....

POPULARMECHANICS!!!!!!!????????

R.O.T.F.L.M.A.OFFFFFFFF

that's funny......

that explains a lot Jeremy......

I know that yer intentions are well meant Jeremy, and you try really ...really...really hard to help at times........

but......you need to give up on this one....

trust me.....your wrong

and Popularmechanics references ain't doin yer rep a whole lot of good....

00 L O

lmao.....

and one other thing.......I ain't NEVER.....EVER NEVER....seen a torque convertor ........ "lock up solid".....and weld it's guts togeather.

scrib abell ~:~gives jeremy a hit off his bong....to settle him down a little~:~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Re: draining auto trans Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 17, 2003, 2:07am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@l-c-s-1.n-e-t (Jeremy=A0Chavers) Excerpt from Popularmechanics.com:

"Don't use a thick bead of silicone sealant, as it will squish out between the mating surfaces into little silicone worms, which will eventually break off and clog the pump intake." Not exactly the transmission trashing warning I gave, but nevertheless.....

Aside from that, the shop foreman that I used to work with, and personal experience (how else would you explain a torque convertor locking up solid after only a few hundred miles of a transmission service in which RTV *was* used), have taught me to *never* use RTV on a tranny pan.

As I said before, if you want to, it's your transmission.

Good luck

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Yup, dats the one...