Frame question/door handle advice.

2 parter... truck is a '90 z71. Got in an accident and the passenger side 'bracket' (or is it called a frame horn?) that is attached to the frame which bolts up the bumper got bent back and up from its original position. Does anyone know if this is a replacement part or can it only be pounded out to it's original spot. Any idea what kind of heat sources body shops use to heat parts such as this when they need to pound them straight?

Second question, 99 percent of all 88+ c/k1500s I've been in have had junky inside door handles. They seem to only be held down with one screw and a tab. Since I've got my truck idle i'm trying to come up with some sort of fix, habit has me closing the door from the inside by grabbing the door right below the window. I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes and tightening down a strong strap. Just wondering what others have done.

Thanks for any information.

Reply to
DIE SPAM

Inline...........

You can buy replacement frame horns from the dealership or collision repair store.

I've had several of this vintage and never had a problem.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc. I've had 2 collision centers tell me they were a non-order part so it would have to be hammered straight. I have plenty of space right now to get in there and pound on it, which is why I asked about the heat source. Just need a temporary fix as I'm flat broke after buying the new parts. Eventually I'll track down a new one (dealer) and have it professionally installed.

As for the door handles, glad you never had the problem. I can count 6 total trucks am>

Reply to
DIE SPAM

MY '85 K5 has a handle in the arm rest and a strap as well?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I clobbered an 85' Parisienne last year and mangled the PS frame horn. The bodyshop ordered a new one and replaced it. I took it to a dealership for the work.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"