Worn Ignition Key

My 1988 Toyota pickup ignition key always gets two very worn places on the flat sides near the tip of the key (about

3/16" from the tip). It looks like something is rubbing there a lot, when the key is in the ignition switch, but I can't imagine what. I'm on my third set of keys, and the latest set is now showing very noticable wear there.

Anyone?

Reply to
tbl

Hey! Get some lubricant in the keyhole. I've used graphite powder in the past. Too many new products on the market to mention. Maybe the local bicycle or motorcycle shop for some dry lube. Hope that helps!........................Bill

Reply to
William Brown

I usually have problems with the door locks than the ignition switch.It's the metal the duplicate keys are made of. They are made of a softer metal, typically brass and tin. I keep one master key to duplicate from, for this purpose. Master Keys are made of steel.

If all else fails, go to the dealer with your VIN, they can make you a new key. I had to remove the driver side door lock to get the code for my truck.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

The original keys for my '88 pickup, wore the same way. I finally bought a new lockset and keys from the dealer. I had a '78 Datsun that had the same problem. One day, I accidently pulled out the key while it was running. I had to destroy the lock to turn it off, then install a new lockset...

In both cases, I ended up with two keys, one for the ignition, one for the doors and gas cover...

Yes, I kept them lubed with graphite, so that wasn't it...

Reply to
TOM

Toyota lock-sets do wear out. I bought a new after-market ignition lock after my truck got stolen. The cops pointed out that my ignition lock was so worn out you could start the truck with a screwdriver.

Any lockshop can order you one. They are really easy to swap out. You just remove the plastic shell around the steering column, turn the lock to the first stop and push a pin into the hole to release the lock set.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
2006 - 1988 = 18 years. You don't say how often you use the keys, but replacing the keys every 6 years seems reasonable enough to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks to all who replied.

Unfortunately, after writing the buildup, I forgot to state my question!

What is the cause of this bizarre, localized wear? I've been assuming it's something in the ignition switch, and not the door locks, but that assumption may be no better than my first post....

Reply to
tbl

It is likely that 2 of the pins are sticking.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Are these Duplicate keys you have made at the local hardware store? or are these the original keys that came with the truck?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

One was original, the others from a local lock-shop.

Reply to
tbl

This may be due to inferior metals in the key blanks. I have used the same (Honda) ignition key daily for over 26 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

This is definitely an unusual type of wear that I'm seeing. Maybe not unusual for 1988 Toyota pickups, but unusual from any other keys and locks that I've used. It's not like the whole key is wearing out, it looks more like somebody took a hand-grinder to these two spots on opposite sides of the key. Under a magnifier, it looks to be tiny gouges in the same (more or less) direction of the long axis of the key.

I'm just curious, but my curiosity is costing us all too much time.

Back to work, everybody!

Reply to
tbl