My th400 pan gasket leaks, how do I stop it?

========== ========== On Dec 3, 2:31 pm, "lildevil" wrote: also coat both sides of the new gasket with vaseline,,,,,,,,,worked for me. ========= =========

giggle

chuckle

lol

rotflol

rotflmao

ROTFLMAFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SAID TO DO WHAT???????????????

ROTFLMAO ! ! ! ! !! ! ! !

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.......wow......~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========== ==========

Indian Head Gasket Shellac

and that's all i gotta say bout that

:)

~:~ marsh ~pours one fer duh Crowman........good to see ole friends~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

====== ====== On Dec 2, 12:18 pm, "-the HoSt-" wrote in messg: It is not a huge leak, but it frustrates the hell out of me that I cannot seem to stop a simple leak, If anyone has experience with this give me a clue. ======= =======

I .......HATE repeating meself and often find i gits a bit overbearing when forced to......so.....jest let me refer you to MY original reply.

and......then......if you have eeeeeeeny more questions...

BY GAWD ASK THEM!!!!

:)

because.....i...me...alone........

HAVE SEALED MORE TRANNY LEAKS THAN CUDA HAS GOT BAD ADVICE.........or fer dat matter..everyone that's answered so far.......combined.

don't believe me....??

cool......

mmmmm......who else gave chrome pan as the FIRST possible cause?

:)

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke......mmmmm........good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Marsh you dog:

how the hell are you?

Reply to
Refinish King

What are you doing now Marsh Dog?

Bending frames with your Kansas Jack?

LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

Really? How can you be certain?

Nope.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You claimed it's because the pan is chrome.

No mention of chrome in that post.

So, is it chrome or is it a flaw in the pan?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"Recently left" can mean a lot of things.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Works for all the hacks.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Nah, I'm a Permatex aviation adhesive kinda guy. Either way, sounds like we're both old school.

Check out my new gig:

(I"m the big guy in the middle)

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Read the rest of the thread. The OP said this later on.

I agree wiith MM. Since I now do custom and hot rod work instead of woriking in a dealer, those cheap assed chrome pans, timing covers and valve covers have become the bane of my existance. They look pretty, but they'll all leak sooner or later. Usually much sooner than a plain steel or aluminum piece. I grind the chrome on the sealing surfaces, use a little Aviation Permatex, and it's good to go.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Wonder if he's the same guy that said you should coat one surface with oil before you use RTV on a gasket over in the Jeep group?

Here...put *this* in you pipe...and smoke it.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

The big biker guy from Arkansas...me, but the Cuda guy thinks I'm a hack, too.

gimme that!

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Care to point out where I claimed you were a hack?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes, the OP revealed later on that the pan is chrome plated. That makes MM's reply a good guess and nothing more. Marsh also indicates that the cause could be a flawed pan (excluding that -chromed- is a flaw) which is it then?

That lucky guesses are good?

None of which makes Marsh the 'gawd" he thinks he is.

And torque the bolts to 15 ft.lb.?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You claimed it's because the pan is chrome.

No mention of chrome in that post.

So, is it chrome or is it a flaw in the pan?- Hide quoted text - ========== ==========

My FIRST reply to the OP gave THREE possibilities.....

THE FIRST ...was that he had a chrome pan.

again......scroll up......reeeed whut i rote not whut you red.

:)

and.......as to yer LAST sentence in this reply..... The pan gasket "almost" ALWAYS LEAKS on chrome pans when gasket shellec isn't used.

again.....please reeed whut ima rite'n not whut yer a reed'n.

~:~ marsh ~drops a shroom in cuda's coffee whilst he isn't look'n........ there......that'll git his brain rite~ ~"~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

======= ======= read the thread...........

i'm certain i'm RITE.

anywhoooooo........there's NO WAY i can be wrong.......

:)

again.......read my FIRST reply to the thread

:)

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.......mmmmmm.......good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========= =========

A $3 bottle of Idian Head Gasket shellac.......would be cheaper.

if........the pan gasket is the leak.

anywhooo...you shudd'nt put THAT pan back on without the sealant either way.

fact.......not fiction.

~:~ marsh ~takes a sip of the shroom juice........mmmmmm....... get'n better everyminute~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Guess? Possibly, but surely an educated one. I don't see you arguing with the fact that chrome pans are more likely to leak(as indicated above. Seeing that none of us but the OP can actually see and put our hands on the vehicle, we're *all* guessing, really.

Hey, it *never* hurts ot guess right.

Hmm, sounds like you've got issues. Won't get into it, nope, not at all.

Don't have the service manual to answer that one. Whatever it calls for, of course.

15ft lbs does sound like a bit much though. I'd probably stay in the 10-12 ft lb range. That's about the torque my Snap-On 1/4' drive air ratchet puts out at 90psi of shop air.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Different thread, another newsgroup, some time back.