Where is this oil leak coming from? (96 S-10 4 cyl)

tell us again about that '+17 lbs of vacuum', dork

Reply to
TransSurgeon

All this cold weather, mine get cross threaded everytime I'm outside for more than 10 minutes................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hell, that may be Eee Eees problem as well. His nuts are cross threaded and now his brain won't work. 17 lbs of vac. that's a good one. Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Eee Eee" wrote

Hee hee...I love it...a webtv'er no less!!

You dumb maggot!!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Neil,

You and Gary ripped this guy a new asshole before I had the chance to play him like the fool he is. Just when I thought WebTV users couldn't get any stupider than they already are, along comes "Eee Eee" and completely blows away the competition. I'm laughing so hard right now after reading the banter I'm getting dizzy! I hope, for the entertainment value of all on this NG that he stages yet another witty reply.

BTW, anyone know WTF "vacume" is.....he he he he he he........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Dude, we know what he meant, but it's still physically impossible to generate 17 in/hg in the PCV system.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doesn't matter since he's still totally wrong about the function of the system not to mention what happens when the throttle is fully open and there is no longer 17in.hg. of vacuum applied to the PCV valve.

Then again, if he's going to come in here and teach me and Bob and Gary and Ian and Doc a thing or two, he'd best get his act together... lest he be taunted again.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I think they sell 'em on those infomercials at 3 am on cable.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

..........and the fact that vacuum @ the PCV valve doesn't directly translate into crankcase vacuum, which is considerably less.

"where it creates 17+ lb's of vacume to the crankcase releasing all pressure inside. especially at high rpm's."

Note use of the word "crankcase" as opposed to "PCV valve."

Doc

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hey, I don't know diddly about what the manifold pressure or the pressure at the pcv valve should be. But I can see how he might have thought 17 inches of mercury was what the pressure should be at the pcv valve if it is drawing off the manifold. Take a look at paragraph number six, the first line.

That information is out there. It may be wrong but it is out there.

I agree he jumped in with both feet and they landed squarely in his mouth. A calmer approach with a statement of his understanding about it would have served everyone better.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Vacuum in the crankcase will never be the vacuum "at" the PCV valve. You figure, when PCV valve vacuum is measured you're essentially plugging the PCV line with the vac guage to get the reading; in essence you're measuring manifold vacuum. Let's say a vehicle idles at 17in/hg; the PCV valve controls the vacuum to the crankcase by regulating the vacuum "leak" to suck air out of the system. When you have a vacuum leak you lose vacuum right? At idle, again using 17in/hg manifold vacuum as an example, there will be considerably less than 17 in/hg "at" the valve, and even less in the crankcase due to this "leaking"

So, if the max vacuum a vehicle can reach is 24in/hg (the highest vacuum I've ever seen in any vehicle; hit 24 in/hg going down a 45* mile-long hill @ 70 mph with zero throttle application), the crankcase will never see this as the PCV valve is "leaking" all the time. Because of the constant "leak" and relatively small vacuum source for such a large volume that is the crankcase, even if a vehicle had 24 in/hg manifold pressure @ idle, this wouldn't translate to anywhere near 17 in/hg of vacuum in the crankcase.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Rest assured, it isn't measured anywhere near 17 pounds of vacume. (because there is no such thing as 17 lb's vacume nor is it possible to occur on planet Earth as we know it)

If he had the slightest clue, he would have said 17in.hg instead of 17 lb's of vacume. (17 inches of vacuum would be perfectly acceptable)

I'm guessing that you're referring to the line that reads; "At idle, the manifold vacuum is about 16 to 18 in. Hg (inches of mercury (Hg) "

Actually, it is quite correct, which makes for even less of an excuse for Mr. Wee Wee of webTV.

Him not sleeping thru 6th grade science class would have helped also.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks. That makes what is going on a lots clearer.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Hey I laughed my ass off reading down this thread,but for what it's worth{not much I'm sure]and I don't want to be defending ee ee but I was given a 1977 buick skylark once that only leaked oil {REALLY LEAKED IT}under heavy throttle,ie.up freeway grades.It was apparently too much blowby for the PCV system to handle.I think it was some kind of closed crankcase system.It came pouring out the front seal.I dought that a modern vehicle would have this problem but I think this is what ee ee was thinking although he could have said it better!

Reply to
Brian Orion

is it Brain or Brian... lol

i stated it as clearly as could be. sorry if you couldn't understand it. i have 2 older vehicles and 1 newer 1 and none of mine leak oil like everyones in here does. i have an 88 gmc pickup that shows 275000 miles and it doesn't leak.

btw...someone said they seen Dr dorkieo and all his friends down at (cash auto parts) buyn' pvc valves. ain't that strange? :)

Reply to
Eee Eee

explain that ' +17 pounds of vacuum ' for us, will ya ?

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Definition of stupid:

Someone who has been corrected numerous times by several different people on a certain issue and STILL doesn't get it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Look Pee Wee Ping pong,I was trying to back you up a little but obviously you enjoy being kicked around so let me lend you my size 12

1/2s."Internal pressure leak"?The guy has an oil leak.He needs to repair the leak.Is that too deep for you?Have you EVER worked on an engine?{that little wooden train engine your mom gave you doesn't count ping pong} "17+lb's of vacume" "releasing all pressure inside".....Bend over again pee wee,who's next?
Reply to
Brian Orion

I was rather dissappointed by his pithy reply to all of the various cans of whoop-ass that were opened on him. We can only hope he's feeling saucy later on and decides to grace us all with another post.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"