Oil Leak

I have a 1992 Toyota Truck 2WD 5 speed manual with a 6 cylinder engine.

Last night I noticed a fairly large patch of oil beneath the truck on the driver's side towards the front. All my fluid levels look fine.

A bit of background

The engine was rebuilt in November 2001 (new timing chain as well). A couple of weeks ago I had to replace the radiator because the top tank was shot and the core was plugged up, and was causing overheating problems. The overheating problem has gone away and the vehicle is running perfectly. I did top up the oil a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Reply to
AC

What's the color of the oil (even red ATF may pick up dirt as it drips and look black, but check).

What does the oil smell like? Engine oil, ATF, and gear oil all smell different.

How thick is the oil? How does it feel between your fingers? Brake fluid or antifreeze feel different from oil.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Actually this morning the light was just right that when I was underneath the truck I could catch the color of the fluid. It's green, and though I couldn't get my hands in, it looks like the right spot for the bottom rad hose. This is rather a relief, since a rad hose is a pretty cheap fix.

Reply to
AC

Just a follow-up to this, and I hope it doesn't represent anything too serious. I got a better look at the fluid today, and it seems a little oily. It's definitely coolant, and I can't find any evidence of any thing in the oil or in the coolant in the radiator. I'm taking it to my local Toyota dealer, but I wondered if anybody here had any thoughts. The vehicle is running fine, there's no overheating or anything like that.

Reply to
AC

Getting used to talking to myself here. :-)

Took up to the dealer and it turned out it was a leak in the throttle bypass hose. An easy $15 fix.

Reply to
AC