1986 Voyager - Petal hesitation.

Hey guys,

I am trying to diagnose and fix my voyager, here are the symptoms.

The car will start but will not idle, you press down on the gas pedal to the floor and the engine will rev, then will die. You can let off the pedal and depress again and it will rev and stall. Taking the air filter assembly off and trying to start her, I can hear from within the cab that sounds like to be gaslone flooding.

When this came about the car was driveable, from what I hear it happened all of a sudden. Started one day and not the next.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Reply to
Ken LaCroix

Hmmm - possibly partially clogged fuel filter letting enough fuel thru for idle, but not for higher demand? What happens if you take it out on the road and attempt to accelerate?

Bill Putney

Since you have a 1986, you most likely have the 2.2 or 2.6 litre engine with the carburator setup. Hesitation or stalling on acceleration is most likely caused by the accelerator pump in the carburator not working correctly.

I don't know if rebuilt or rebuild kits are available for that carburator any more.

I had a 1986 with 2.6 and the Minuki carburator. It was very difficult to keep the carb in adjustment.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Nope. if that were the problem, the engine would stumble and either die or eventually catch and rev, not rev and then die. "Rev and then die" means the accelerator pump IS working, but as soon as the shot of fuel it provides is used up, the engine dies. That points to a clogged or malfunctioning power-enrichment system in the carburetor. We need more info to get more specific. Perhaps the original poster can tell us what happens if the accelerator is pressed very gradually rather than stomped.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Vacuum leak? Check for a hose that came off.

Ken

Reply to
KWS